Stuff

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Stuff

Post by 62chevy »

The big thing about hunting in the cold is keeping your feet warm. A towel to dry your feet and dry socks. I know some guys that will put plastic over their feet till they get to their stand. Even doing all that it never helped me that much so cold and wet I'm not going.
Je suis Charlie
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

The "cold" never did bother me, I can dress/un-dress for that. But, the wet???
No way, I'm staying in the house, warm & "DRY". But being back home now,
I don't have to worry about it much LOL. Yep, desert is pretty good most times...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

800 gram thinsulate boots on the 5 mil chest waders and the M65 coat have kept me plenty warm even when they were slicked in ice. I just didn't have enough clothes for the hunt as I hadn't planned for that on this trip let alone 20 degree mornings.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Patriot007
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Patriot007 »

Down here we do it in layers. at 5:00 am it 32* and at 12:00 pm its 70*. By 12:00pm though were at the house or some place eating. Hopefully skinning out a deer. Buy you some hand warmer packs from home depot and put in your pockets and we have even stuff them in our boots, carful with the boots if you bust on of them things, its gone 'a get messy.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

It's been like that the last few years here too. Christmas eve I was out in a tee shirt. I think that 5he wet was the worst of it,in the other hand if I had grabbed that Chamois shirt I probably would have been comfortable. Being from the desert 40% humidity is wet to me, I've been in a down pour at only 65%. Breath is visible at 38-41 degrees here.

We used get snow before Thanksgiving for the ski resorts so half of deer season was in parkas and packs now it's been a medium coat and a down vest in your pack. I have to buy a new pair of boot for next year I guess. The 600 gram boots are jut too much of a good thing and the lined hiker isn't enough if I stop for any length of time. I think in about 4 yr I'll be relocating to Northwest Arkansas so this was a good experience to find out what gear to keep and what to pad up.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”