Pro1000 chain snapping

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Pro1000 chain snapping

Post by Fyodor »

Today I restocked my supplies, and loaded 400 .45Auto and then 800 .38spl. At the end of loading the 38s the press was a bit dirty and sometimes did bind a bit during cycling.

That was the point when my proAutoDisk chain snapped, twice. I never overtensioned it. But on the second time I just saw what happened. It did happen again afterwards, but I realized it quickly enough to not snap the chain again.

Uploads via tapatalk don't seem to work, so please use this Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cqhvx2e73xdo ... 2.jpg?dl=0 sorry for the quality, this is a cheap old mobile phone camera.

When the press binds at the top return point, the freely hanging chain swings, sometimes landing on the primer chute. Now the chain is shorter that out should be, of you lower the ram, it will snap.

When the press was clean and lubed in the morning, this didn't happen. So keeping the press clean and lubed will prevent the chain snapping.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Progressive”