Christmas, anybody get any reloading stuff?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Christmas, anybody get any reloading stuff?

Post by Ranch Dog »

I stepped out of the Lee line and bought myself a Lyman Case Prep Xpress. I've been a bit reluctant to add anything, especially anything big, to any of my benches as I'm out of room. Right now the jury is out on a device like this.

I've used it one time and thought, I could have done this with my Lee hand tools faster. So the next reloading back to the old school stuff and yes, it was easier. I'm sure it is just a "familiar" type of thing but the one thing it should have is a flash hole debur tool. That is a new brass thing but it was what I was working with so the Lyman tool was put back in the box. :cry:

My second "gift" was a Mossberg 800A chambered in 308 Win. This was the first rifle that I bought on my own with my own earned money. I was 15 years old. Some twenty years down the road I traded it for something because I wasn't using it and I have always regretted it. One of the few rifles that I let go that I new I should have.
800A_01.jpg
I've been looking for years but all that I run across are what I consider as overpriced. I was looking for some tools on Buffalo Arms and went into their consignment rifles because I was bored and there set this clean 800A priced about $200 less than what they have been selling for on the auction sites. Merry Christmas!

Here is a very young Ranch Dog, 17 years old, home on leave for Christmas before his vacation in Asia! Of course, most of my leave was spent in the South Texas brush with the 800A. That Old's Cutlass belonged to a 65 year old lady that I spent a week hunting with. My dad was a private investigator and one of the fellows that worked with him had just started selling real estate. He had just listed a 10K acre ranch in Dimmit county and the owners said his mom could go hunting , she was really into hunting, and she wanted to spend the week between Christmas and New Year's hunting it. He could not go and asked if I would. The woman and I were gone it minutes. We tent camped a week and had a great time together, both of us killed two nice bucks.

I tend to wander. Anyway, that rifle bought in a whole set of Lee stuff to reload it and of course, I'm already thinking about a RD cast bullet design for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Christmas, anybody get any reloading stuff?

Post by scotland »

No. . Not a thing. I guess i better change that. Nice story though RD. I have a .243 that i will never let go. It belonged to my Dad and it was his favorite rifle. He gave it to me and purchased another one that he wasn't as crazy about. Then passed away and it now is my prized possession. Another is a lever action 30-30 that i got to replace. My granddad gave it to me after buying it cheaply from a despetate alcoholic. I stupidly pawned it and never got it back. Money was tight and i was dumb. That one cost me dearly along with other things. Anyway. .. that is my .02$
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Oh yes I would love to see a preliminary of what you are thinking for this. .308 is one of my favorite calibers.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Not reloading stuff but a brand new ,our gunsmith says under 5 rounds ifrom at all, and FN Mauser in 264 WM and possibly a 257 Roberts on a drop dead gorgeous 96 or 08 SR Mauser.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

For myself a new press, another Lee universal flaring/belling die, and the Lee 3 jawed chuck with the spinner stud to experiment with. (I'll post some more later on this endeavor. Is anyone using this 3 jawed chuck?)

But the really fun stuff I got were presents for my sons and grandsons. One son and a SNL got all the accouterments for cleaning and maintenance of their AR style rifles. I have a bench dedicated to gun cleaning and maintenance but these AR's require a whole new bunch of "stuff" that I knew nothing about.

The Grandsons got the Savage Rascals. It is a single shot bolt 22 rifle designed from the ground up for kids. It's design makes it a very nice starter rifle. (Actually they started with Red Riders) We spent the day after Christmas out in the desert reinforcing the safety rules and enjoying these rascals becoming proficient with their new Rascals. It doesn't get better to see them learning the operation of the bolt, getting on target and bragging about who was the best shot. :) Unfortunately one of the Rascals rifles will need to be returned as the firing pin was hit or miss about 50% of the time. :(
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Sounds like a good time daboone! I bought my grandson a Cricket last year and wish I would have bought the Rascal after having one in hand.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

daboone wrote:For myself a new press, another Lee universal flaring/belling die, and the Lee 3 jawed chuck with the spinner stud to experiment with. (I'll post some more later on this endeavor. Is anyone using this 3 jawed chuck?)

But the really fun stuff I got were presents for my sons and grandsons. One son and a SNL got all the accouterments for cleaning and maintenance of their AR style rifles. I have a bench dedicated to gun cleaning and maintenance but these AR's require a whole new bunch of "stuff" that I knew nothing about.

The Grandsons got the Savage Rascals. It is a single shot bolt 22 rifle designed from the ground up for kids. It's design makes it a very nice starter rifle. (Actually they started with Red Riders) We spent the day after Christmas out in the desert reinforcing the safety rules and enjoying these rascals becoming proficient with their new Rascals. It doesn't get better to see them learning the operation of the bolt, getting on target and bragging about who was the best shot. :) Unfortunately one of the Rascals rifles will need to be returned as the firing pin was hit or miss about 50% of the time. :(
Yep ar15 gas system lends itself to being dirty. Direct impingement gas system blowing the dirt carbon and gas into the reciever. A good chamber brush is needed. I have yet to have gas tube clog or fail from shooting it. I like ar rifles but I love my ak for not needing this extra care. I got a new ar as well so now I have two ar15 rifles and 3 ak rifles.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Lisa got me a new "Giant" Dremil set, 2 hand pieces, flex shaft hand piece, & several
hundred pieces of tooling. Thank's to a sticky fingered nephew my old set walked,
along with my bore scope. I also got a new scope, but we had to send it back,
the camera head was to big for anything under 41 Cal. Gonna get a smaller one.
I tell 'ya folks, I wish you all could know my wife & best friend Lisa,
she is one of a kind!!! I also got a Lee .358 sizer & a new set of Grace pin punches
& a box full of nice clean WW ingots, some lube & bees wax from none other than
my best buddy DaBoone. His Christmas gift will be late, have to wait on it :( I hate waiting...
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:I tell 'ya folks, I wish you all could know my wife & best friend Lisa…
So Larry, what is your wife's name?

Sorry Larry, just could not resist! Sounds like you are well taken care of!
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Well looks like I'll be shopping a set of 257 Roberts dies. Miss takes care of me,she let me have them both,because like I needed 2 rifles and 2 more cartridges and 3 more sizers and moulds and brass and ..........all the goodies that go with them.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Topic Bucket”