Winchester 296 or Alliant 2400?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Winchester 296 or Alliant 2400?

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

akuser47 wrote: I have been shooting my .38 loads in .357 brass for a long time I hate carbon ring build up in the cylinders or chamber. So if you roll your own this is an option. Just be careful and remember use close to or max .38 special load data powder puff or light .38 special loads may squib.
I read up on it a bit and found that due to the added length of the case and resulting volume I could add 10% to the load data so that's what I did and more. I used IMR 700-X at 4.8 grains which is higher than the Do Not Exceed number but accounting for the added volume and my estimate of resulting velocity it worked out well. I would not do this in a 38 case using a 38 special gun! Again, my goal was to stay just below the max velocity for Berry's 125 grain FP regular plate bullets which is 1250fps and I think I did that. They were accurate and the holes were round so I don't think I had any stripping or tumbling. Seeing as how the gun is a 357 magnum, the cases are 357 magnum cases and they were nowhere near 357 magnum pressure I saw no danger in this. I really need a chrono but can't just yet.

I just don't know what to call them! :lol:
For now I just call them long 38's when I talk to someone about them, but some guy argued that they are just weak 357's. I don't agree. A 357 case was developed so that people wouldn't put a 357 magnum cartridge into a 38 special gun and blow themselves up. What makes it a 357 is the load not the case length so it's not a 357. That's the way I see it anyway. It's just a long hot 38...
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Call it a 38 special mag. Lol
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

akuser47 wrote:Call it a 38 special mag. Lol
38 Spec Mag... I like it!!!
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Perect!
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

You could call it the .357 Short Magnum.

Short magnums are after all very popular and trendy right now and it could massively increase the popularity of the .38 Special in a .357 Magnum.

Or just go with .357 "-P".

------

I have not hard any issues with carbon rings, perhaps because I still shoot both .38s and .357s in my Service Six, perhaps because Ruger's Service Six and Security Six chambers run a little large anyway, or perhaps because I clean like I was still in the military.

But either way I prefer a .38 +P load with a 125 gr bullet in the 1050-1100 fps range to a full power .357 Magnum load, especially once the range session gets longer than about 50 rounds.

For casual shooting I use Bullseye or Red Dot and a 158 gr LSWC at around 700 fps.

For self defense loads I use the above mentioned +P load with a 125 gr XTP and 7.5 grains of IMR800x, which ends up having to be weighed as the light, large flaky powders fills a case well but does not measure all that well through a Dillon measure.

For .357 magnum loads I use Win 296 as I have a lot of it on hand. I use it in .22 Hornet with 25 grain bullets, in .357 Mag, and Tier 3 .45 Colt loads, and in .30 carbine loads.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

Model 52 wrote:
I have not hard any issues with carbon rings, perhaps because I still shoot both .38s and .357s in my Service Six, perhaps because Ruger's Service Six and Security Six chambers run a little large anyway, or perhaps because I clean like I was still in the military.
I enjoy cleaning my guns almost as much as I enjoy shooting them. I'm sort of retired (health not age) so I have time on my hands. And I just don't like beating up my stuff whether it's guns or guitars. They all look new. They aren't safe queens though. I shoot the crap out of them and then clean the crap out of them.

As far as rings and why I'm using 357 cases now, it's a long story but I had a problem fitting my 38 longs into my GP100 and couldn't figure out what was wrong. I cleaned and cleaned but they would not go all the way in so I thought I damaged the bores. Finally I sent it to Ruger and they replaced the wheel. I have a feeling they had a 38 wheel on a 357 gun!

I just reluctantly sold a gun to raise the cash I needed so now I have the 296 up for trade for something general purpose. The 2400 is good for my needs and I shoot a lot more 9mm and 45 than 38 and 357 now so extra general purpose is what I need.

I'm on northeasetshooters.com for buying and selling firearms and accessories because there are a lot of people local to me there and I can do face to face transactions. They also use iTrader for feedback which is good. We aren't trading baseball cards so it's good to know who you are dealing with.
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I took care of my other obligations so I'm just going to keep the 296.
One thing I'm wondering about...
I just bought an HK VP9. I typically load my 9's on the light side and it has never been an issue but the VP9 likes them hot. My light loads causes all sorts of failures.
Is there a recipe that I could use with the 296 for 9's on the hot side or is it strictly a punch in the face magnum powder? If it's strictly a magnum powder it could be a while before I use it so it would be nice if I could use it for something else too.

Never mind. I got my answer :shock: .

Return to “Handgun Reloading”