New blocks on Lee six cavity molds

Topics concerning individual handgun & rifle bullet designs, buckshot, and shotgun slugs.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

New blocks on Lee six cavity molds

Post by Ranch Dog »

Just received my Lee special order TLC310-150-RF molds. There is a new pattern cut into the blocks.

I don't know if it improved the cast because I rarely have an issue with a mold in that I cast with them so often. If I do, the primary cause tends to be the fluxing of my material. The one worry with the new design that I had was in applying the stick lube that I use on the pins. I thought that on a hot mold the lube might wick into the nearest cavities pronto this disabling two of the six cavities. With just a trace of stick lube on the blade of a slotted screwdriver, I touched the pins. I had a paper towel ready and followed up by placing a corner of the towel between the pin and cavity. Sure enough that wax flowed right along that channel toward the nearest cavity but the towel stopped it. I cast about 150 bullets and never had to apply lube to the pins again.

The sprue plate needs to be adjusted as with heat on the mold it applies too much pressure in the mid point of the mold thus bowing the mold halves. I just file the cutout where the sprue plate cams over to lock and that relieves the issue. I find this a common issue with the six cavity molds, Lee must feel that the sprue plate needs to lock and I disagree. If you want round bullets vs. out of round, you need to hold pressure on the handles just like the single and double cavity molds use! Those scratches on the upper side of the block (first image) is from too much pressure on the sprue plate when they closed it.
Michael
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: New blocks on Lee six cavity molds

Post by akuser47 »

I don't understand why they did this. Has to be a logical reason. Cheaper to not remove the machine marks? I know it looks intentional. I'm just brainstorming. Maybe improves cooling of mold? Hmm interesting. Maybe just to help it stand out as it sits on you shelf.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Wonder if they did the same to the 2 cavity?

Looks like air vents to me.

I have those same scratches on my 2 cavity mold RD. From now on I will lightly file sprue plate holes.
Je suis Charlie
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:I have those same scratches on my 2 cavity mold RD. From now on I will lightly file sprue plate holes.
I stone the underside of the spure plate before use and then relieve any pressure on the plate where it locks against the sprue hold down.
Michael
Dan 444
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Dan 444 »

This is great information. Thanks, RD!
Dan
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by Fyodor »

That pattern is quite common in tooling. It's a venting pattern, that's very easy to cut and very effective.

What I don't understand is, why they introduced it, but I never heard of venting problems in Lee dies before.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.

Return to “Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”