I Am Not Getting Notifications To Replies

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
6Gears1Speed
My Press Choice: Progressive

I Am Not Getting Notifications To Replies

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

I have the button selected to receive notifications when someone replies to my threads but I'm not getting notified. Does that button mean I will get an email or something else, or is that feature disabled here? On other forums I get an email so I know someone has replied to one of my threads or a thread that I have subscribed to.

Thanks.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: I Am Not Getting Notifications To Replies

Post by akuser47 »

Yep, it sends email notification to your registered email address.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
6Gears1Speed

Post by 6Gears1Speed »

OK. I got a notification for your reply here and one other today. I went through the options again and flipped them back and forth. Maybe phbb has a bug or something. Thanks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What I determined is that the the "general" reply notification that is set in the User Control Panel (Board preferences> Edit posting defaults> Notify me upon replies by default) works from the chron function (think chronometer) of the forum where all the other notifications (PM, subscription, admin notices, etc.) have a direct trigger. Each time a chron event is triggered, a chronograph starts to complete the task at the end of the specified time. When the timer runs out, the next login of a user (even a guest will work), triggers the event. Some of the functions that are part of the chron "timer" are backups, topic and user prunes, etc.

My guess is that default notifications are part of the chron so that the notifications do not flood the email account with "sends" but rather spaces them out. In the case of the default notifications it is able to reduce the number of emails sent to a single email of those collected during the chron event. The problem with this forum is the lack of activity we see. If user "X" replies to user's "Y" topic, and user "Z" doesn't login for several hours, there is a delay in the email being generated. To reiterate, it is not the "reply" that triggers the notification but the next user login that does.
Michael

Return to “Topic Bucket”