.30-06 Min max Load differences

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
norcal31
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: .30-06 Min max Load differences

Post by norcal31 »

Winchester model 70 30-06
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

norcal31 wrote:Winchester model 70 30-06
The first round I reloaded was 30-06 with a Lee Loader. When I got a turret press I think the directions with the die said to turn it in until it touched the shell holder plus 1/4 turn. A few thousand rounds later I got a case gauge and found that the cases were actually a little short. Worked out that + 1/8th turn would have been enough. I even bent the pins in the press with the plus 1/4 turn setting. The rifle I was loading for then and still is a Sears model 53, made by Winchester. Basically a Win 70.

If you are only going to shoot them in that rifle, and your casings were first fired in that rifle you would increase case life by just neck sizing. I recommend Lee collet neck sizing die.

Now most of the rounds I load I want to shoot in either the M1 or the model 53, so I FL size all my 06.
norcal31

Post by norcal31 »

I only have the one 30-06 so I could neck size only but I only have the full length die. I might look into it to extend brass life. Do you anneal at all? If so do you do it your self or send it out to be done?
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

Annealing brass is a simple thing to do. I've seen it done with bare fingers holding the brass all the way to fancy machines. Youtube is full of videos on annealing.

[youtube][/youtube]
Je suis Charlie
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

norcal31 wrote:I only have the one 30-06 so I could neck size only but I only have the full length die. I might look into it to extend brass life. Do you anneal at all? If so do you do it your self or send it out to be done?
You can neck size with the standard FL die by simply backing it out a quarter to a full turn .
I have a 2nd FL for several cartridges adjusted to not touch the shoulders. The 06' set is the farthest out as I load for 3 ,1 with all but a match chamber but long from base time neck, 1 that is long from the head to the shoulder and 1 that has a fat shoulder . I set the die up so that it doesn't hit the long or fat shoulders or the shoulder neck jct. With this it leaves a distinct line just about .04-8 up the neck depending on from which rifle the brass came . The beauty of this at least for me is that the fat shouldered rifle likes the .08 unsized neck base and shoots better groups with it. That rifle also has a rather long jump to the rifling with most bullets even fat cast bullets have to be seated rather long to reach.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

norcal31 wrote:I only have the one 30-06 so I could neck size only but I only have the full length die. I might look into it to extend brass life. Do you anneal at all? If so do you do it your self or send it out to be done?
What the other guys said is good advise. I put a deep wall 3/8 drive socket that goes about half way up the 06 case in a electric drill, spin it in the flame. when ready it just needs tipped over the water and it falls in.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”