.38spl Pyrodex loads

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: .38spl Pyrodex loads

Post by Fyodor »

RBHarter wrote:Your lube needs will be different with BP and subs . Olive oil and beeswax is the simplest to make and use. You can use it also for wad lube or pills. I've shot lots of C& B w/straight olive oil lube wads under the ball . The difference is 12 shots and shooting all day without cleaning.
My recent bullets are "fat free" moly-coated. You think this might cause problems with pyrodex?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: .38spl Pyrodex loads

Post by RBHarter »

Sorry I've been away a while .
The BP fouling needs to stay "wet" ,the goal of most of them is to keep the fouling soft so that some of it is pulled away with each shot fired. It also can help in revolvers to keep the cylinder turning freely. I don't think that a plain moly bullet lube will do the job. Presuming a lube grooved cast bullet you might get away with a vegetable or fat grease lube simply smeared into the grooves without any fuss or searching for other stuff with the winter months ahead it should work well enough.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Handgun Reloading”