Fliers

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
beekeeper

Fliers

Post by beekeeper »

If you cast you have them.
How about a discussion about them.
What causes them?
How to stop them?

To me they are very frustrating.
I try hard to make consistent ammo but always seem to have a few fliers!
I have tried weighing cases.
Weighing bullets
weighing powder charges
All the above at once trying to make each load as consistent as possible and still have them.

Any one know a good publication to read to give me some better insight?
Or maybe some sage advice?

beekeeper
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Fliers

Post by mr surveyor »

I never, ever have fliers with my revolvers .... depending on which one I'm shooting at the time, I'll have either 5 or 6 of the prettiest one hole groups you ever saw :lol:

Working up loads for the .44 mag R92 does seem to make those pesky fliers show up, especially with cast bullets (I buy commercial). Depending on the bullet weight and profile (cast bullets) it seems that the lower/mid range charges are more repeatable with fewer flyers ... most of the time.

I've come to the conclusion that most of my observed fliers are at the upper end of the loads in a ladder test with the 92 .... well, duh! I like 10 round tests through the chrony on paper, and usually take anywhere from 3 to 5 load variations to the range. By the time I'm midway through the third step on the ladder my shoulder is sending a message through the central nervous system to my trigger finger asking it to consider NOT TO squeeze the trigger :lol: . I'm sure that's part of it for me.

There sure are a lot of variables to consider though.

JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

If I have regular fliers I generaly consider it to be a case of that group of components just not working in that rifle.
I got and Sk s to 3x5s at 100 several times . Its not picky about brass , it has a definate preference for dry wrapped over wet for the paper patches. I was working some single feed loads up for it w/Win primers . could not get it to close the group ,same everything except CCI lrp 1st trip the 8-12 closed to 4x6.My expirence has be that fliers are cased by something loose,bad trigger break or poor trigger control.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I know I might sound like a broken record but you really cannot explain fliers until you correlate each shot with the recording across a chronograph. That is the only thing that will tell you if it is the load or the rifle.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

Ranch Dog wrote:........ That is the only thing that will tell you if it is the load or the rifle.
...or the bruised and beaten operator ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by akuser47 »

Also if you are unable to find obviuos reason weigh every bullet for cavity abnormality
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I was recently casting up some 8mm Maximum for shooting in a 24/47 and found several of the bullets may as well have been bananas. Now I check to see if everything is round all the way for sure. They weren't so obvious as I make it sound though so it makes me wonder if some of my fliers were from bullets not quite straight.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by daboone »

By the poster's names in this thread this comment is outta place but after assuring the basics like one akuser47 mentioned and the clean sharp casting, weights, etc of the cast bullets most of my fliers are due to barrel issues, temp and fouling or me the shooter.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.

Return to “Topic Bucket”