Deer Hunting

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
scotland
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Deer Hunting

Post by scotland »

Felt like sharing a story of one of my memorable hunts. The last one I had with my Dad.

A few years back, My Dad and I decided to load up and go out hunting for whitetale deer here in NE NM. Got our licenses and planned the whole trip. Taking my Jeep and his RV camper. Found a great location near my cousin's ranch. Setup camp and planned the first morning trip.

Next morning, we get out early enough and within the first hour, my dad being the dead shot he was, spotted a nice deer on the side of small rise. BAM! +guns Down it went! Got it back to camp and all processed.

Spent the next several days hunting for my deer. Saw lots of signs and could hear lots of movement, but never a good shot.

Finally on the last day of our planned hunt and the last hour, we come around a bend in the jeep trail and there is my deer. Buck FEVER sets in :shock: and I jump out and make a quick shot. Didn't think I hit him, I followed him on foot and spotted him again. So I took aim and another shot. Darn thing still didn't drop. WTH??? :( So I take another shot. Finally the deer falls down. (there might be a few more shots. Remember Buck Fever is running through my veins). :lol:

As I walk up to the deer, my dad comes up and is laughing. :lol: Told me it sounded like WWIII going on and wonder what I was doing. We both inspected the deer and I pretty much hit him every time. Just not a good kill shot.

Funniest part was one of my flying piece of hot flaming metal actually made a nice hole in one of the deer's antlers. Dad kept them and had them mounted to remember out great hunt. And it was... one that I will never forget.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Deer Hunting

Post by mr surveyor »

Nice story.

Reminds me how much I miss my Dad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Always ready to read about a father & son hunt, thanks. Whitetail season here in Texas is just around the corner!
Michael
357cyrus
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 357cyrus »

Great memories!
*** Peace Through Superior Firepower ***
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Great Story. Thanks. If you get the opertunity show us a picture of the antler hole. sounds like a cool mount.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”