SHOOTING BUG HOLES with the LEE COLLET

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
dagger dog
My Press Choice: Turret

SHOOTING BUG HOLES with the LEE COLLET

Post by dagger dog »

I know every one here owns a favorite rifle that CAN SHOOT , usually with your favorite hand load, and good steady bench technique. I have 3, a 22 Hornet, a 223 Rem. along with a 308 Winchester.

All 3 of these rifles have had their best groups using the Lee Collet, especially the Hornet. but I use different brand seating dies for each of those 3 calibers.

The Hornet case gets a couple small washers slipped over the case to set on the shell holder, this activates the collet early and only sizes the very top portion of the case. I can get 15-20 resizings before the necks split. Never had a case head separation, this I contribute to the collet die, and I don't use maximum loads.

The 308 Win. and 223 Rem. loves the collet, and I can get 10 or 12 loadings before the primer pockets get loose, these loads are medium high to darn near max. and almost all are compressed.

I wish Lee Precision, would produce a micrometer style window type, sliding bullet guide seating die !

What's the consensus on the collet ! Any one here have the luck I have had ?
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: SHOOTING BUG HOLES with the LEE COLLET

Post by akuser47 »

I use it in .308 if you are talking about the neck sizing die greatly cut my groups. haveing fire formed brass to my chamber.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dagger dog

Post by dagger dog »

akuser47 wrote:I use it in .308 if you are talking about the neck sizing die greatly cut my groups. haveing fire formed brass to my chamber.

Yes, the neck sizing die ! Mine came in the gold colored 3 dies set with the regular full length sizing die, I bought the 223 as an extra.

You can use the regular full length die to partial size just the neck portion of the case by not screwing it down all the way, you can see a bright ring as it moves down the neck of the case, you keep screwing the die in until that ring stops just above the junction of the neck to shoulder.

I can't tell a difference in accuracy using either method, but I can tell a difference in case life.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

dagger dog wrote:I can't tell a difference in accuracy using either method, but I can tell a difference in case life.

Same here. The cases just last that much longer but I can't get the group any better. :cry:

Return to “Rifle”