Howdy from West Texas

Tell us a bit about yourself!
Chajohnson
My Press Choice: Progressive

Howdy from West Texas

Post by Chajohnson »

Hello everyone. Glad to be a member here having been a Lee Precision customer for many years.

I am a disabled veteran (US Air Force, security police, Vietnam 71-72) and a retired peace officer and probation/parole officer. I live in Midland, TX, which is located midway between Ft Worth and El Paso (hense it's name). My interest in shooting and hand loading began after I left the Air Force where I shot rifle and pistol competitively. Continuing competitive shooting as young Texas peace officer was not financially feasible without learning to handload. The military will really spoil you with the amount of free ammo.

Although I started out with some hand-me-down reloading tools of now discontinued manufacture, I soon learned the value of Lee equipment, particularly their progressive pistol press,the Pro1K. Been cranking out ammo for PPC and bullseye pistol for almost 30 years now. It is really the best press I've used for straight walled pistol ammo.Since my retirement (no longer eligible to compete in police competition) I've enjoyed getting into 3 gun and IDPA shooting. It's all great fun that keep your skillS sharp.

Also since my retirement I've fallen in love with lever guns and in particular the dash calibers of the black powder era. I'm not fond of black powder,per say, and usually seek smokeless loads for these. Love the 1873 and 1892 Winchesters as well as the old Marlins in 25-20, 38-40, and 44-40. These are great cartridges to cast and load for.

I really hope to learn more on this site and also share some experience.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Howdy from West Texas

Post by Ranch Dog »

Alright, another Texan on board! Also, good to see a member with your experience particularly, as related to the forum, the Pro 1000. There was a fellow looking for advice in that forum and maybe you could pitch in there.
Michael

Return to “Member Introductions”