RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace

Precision Melter, Magnum Melter, Production Pot IV, and Pro 4-20
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: RCBS Pro-Melt Furnace

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I'm not really trying to Lee bash at all. And my RCBS furnace is still down anyways. I'm not sure what Adorama is going to ship as a month ago I called Lyman about the new PID control furnace and they said it was delayed for the time being. Their website does say it's available as of July 2014 though.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bull ... urnace.php

As a follow up, I rebuilt my 10# Lee and with the Rotometals Lyman #2 there were all of three drips in the half hour of casting I did last weekend. That's a new record but I really am very happy with that one over the 4-20 model I finally tossed. Ten pounds of lead comes to temp pretty fast so I'm not sure I'm missing much by not being able to cast as many either. And I think I can cast longer with the more frequent breaktime. I dunno. Maybe I'm imagining things. I do need to get that RCBS shipped out.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Steve »

Maximumbob54 wrote:I'm not really trying to Lee bash at all. And my RCBS furnace is still down anyways. I'm not sure what Adorama is going to ship as a month ago I called Lyman about the new PID control furnace and they said it was delayed for the time being. Their website does say it's available as of July 2014 though.

As a follow up, I rebuilt my 10# Lee and with the Rotometals Lyman #2 there were all of three drips in the half hour of casting I did last weekend. That's a new record but I really am very happy with that one over the 4-20 model I finally tossed. Ten pounds of lead comes to temp pretty fast so I'm not sure I'm missing much by not being able to cast as many either. And I think I can cast longer with the more frequent breaktime. I dunno. Maybe I'm imagining things. I do need to get that RCBS shipped out.
What is a PID by Lyman?
Thanks,
Steve
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
Maximumbob54 wrote:I'm not really trying to Lee bash at all. And my RCBS furnace is still down anyways. I'm not sure what Adorama is going to ship as a month ago I called Lyman about the new PID control furnace and they said it was delayed for the time being. Their website does say it's available as of July 2014 though.

What is a PID by Lyman?
Thanks,
Steve

Its a fancy furnace with real temp control and a digital display. Can't think of what PID stands for but its the new digital way to control the temp in your pot.
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

If you want the text book answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PID_controller

It just means to me is you should have far less temperature shift during casting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

dondiego wrote:I think that 4-20 means 4 inches of clearance under the spout and holds 20 pounds of alloy.
I'd go with the 4" but the pot is lucky to hold a carefully measured 10#.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Don, somehow I deleted you post that I quoted from above while using tapatalk. Sorry about that.
Michael
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:Don, somehow I deleted you post that I quoted from above while using tapatalk. Sorry about that.

Ops !!!
Je suis Charlie
akuser47
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by akuser47 »

Tapatalk is not so user friendly for moderation. compared to laptop. Ive almost done this. I cannot imagine administrative side of tapa.
Don will be in soon i bet to repost. I am saving for a pot so this has my interest.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

akuser47 wrote:Tapatalk is not so user friendly for moderation. compared to laptop. Ive almost done this. I cannot imagine administrative side of tapa.
Don will be in soon i bet to repost. I am saving for a pot so this has my interest.
Yeah, the mod side of Tapatalk blows. I tried to correct the quote in Don's post and all heck broke loose. I generally just read with Tap and subscribe to the topic if I want to reply or if it needs something from the mod side of me. Then, I open the browser on my phone and work from there.
Michael

Return to “Melters & Furnaces”