Cleaning a used Lee Pro 1000 Progressive

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
DirtyTail976
My Press Choice: Progressive

Cleaning a used Lee Pro 1000 Progressive

Post by DirtyTail976 »

Hi guys, I'm new to reloading and just picked up a used Lee Pro 1000 Progressive. I have been reading and watching a lot of videos on YouTube regarding reloading but need some extra help. The press is in good condition, but needs to be cleaned up some before setting up. If anyone could shed some light as to the best way to clean the press, which oils to use would be best and some tips/tricks or good practices, that would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to getting started in this new hobby and learning as much as I can.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Cleaning a used Lee Pro 1000 Progressive

Post by 62chevy »

Lee recommends motor oil for lube but I use Hoppie's gun oil 3-n-1 should work fine too. Just make sure you oil it every time you use it one or two drops on all moving parts. As far as cleaning it anything you would use to cut grease and oil should work fine just make sure to dry and oil when done. Maybe post a picture of it as is and others can give you more specific instructions.
Je suis Charlie
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

Because the press is new to you you will benefit the press as well yourself by disassembling it to clean it. Mineral spirits or brake cleaner are good choices to remove crud but your dishwashing detergent will get it done too. Old toothbrushes help.

Any oil will do the job. What ever you use in your car is a fine choice. I break down my presses and dies a couple of times a year for cleaning.

There are several good videos posted below on this site (Lees) for its operation.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
DirtyTail976

Post by DirtyTail976 »

Great! Thanks guys. That was my plan to take it apart to clean to get more familiar with it.
joec
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by joec »

Here is the best source I have found on the Lee Pro 1000 press.

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/pro1000.html

He is a bit wordy but still informative and covers it all. I bought two used as my first press and made a few 1000 bullets without a problem using his how too. I've since sold them and moved to a turret press, and single stage as I'm not making in the volume I was when I started. I'm also loading in more calibers now so often need to switch quickly from one to the other.
Joe
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

I took it apart and then washed the main body in the dishwasher. Just lube after it dries. I use 3in1 oil for lubrication on the 3 I have. They are inexpensive enough to have one for each caliber you reload.

Return to “Progressive”