LC -13 brass not chambering - Whats wrong?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Steve
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: LC -13 brass not chambering - Whats wrong?

Post by Steve »

beekeeper wrote: I take a drill that fits the primer pocket and twirl the drill with my fingers while holding the brass in the tip of the flame from a propane torch,
I do it in a darkened room so I can see the temp change in the brass.
When I get the right look I simply drop the case off of the drill into a bucket of cold water.

beekeeper
Thanks beekeeper, I'm going to setup to use a spin off of your method.
Steve
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

beekeeper wrote:Bob,
I tried the pan of water trick many years ago and gave it up as a lost cause.

The method I use now is a lot better as I do not do 1000 rounds at a time like some do.
I take a drill that fits the primer pocket and twirl the drill with my fingers while holding the brass in the tip of the flame from a propane torch,
I do it in a darkened room so I can see the temp change in the brass.
When I get the right look I simply drop the case off of the drill into a bucket of cold water.

I know there are annealing machines out there but for my use what I have works just fine.
I can anneal about 600 rounds in an hour my way which is a way more than I will ever use.

beekeeper

I use a socket and extension but they get hot after just a few cases. Are you sticking the non cutting end in the pocket and how long is the drill bit?
Je suis Charlie
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Like you I tried the socket trick and had the same results you did.
A friend told me about the drill trick.
Use the Non cutting end in the primer socket.
Don't know the drill size I simply went to the drill drawer and chose one that fit for large and one for small primer pockets.
Keep them in a box with other junk that I use ever so often.
The cutting portion of the drill has enough surface area so as not to get hot enough to warm your hands.

It also gives you an indication or warning when you have a primer pocket that is too small, especially when you are doing brass for the first time , like Milsurp brass

beekeeper

Return to “Rifle Reloading”