Case filler

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
beekeeper

Case filler

Post by beekeeper »

I actually do not know where to start!

I am working with some WC860 surplus powder.
It seems to work best with a complete case full or if not full some kind of filler.
The rounds I shot this week I used packing peanut for filler.
I simply broke off a piece and stuffed it in the case.
The velocities were all over the place and I atribute that to the filler and the way I used it.
Want to continue using the packing peanuts for filler but was wondering if I put some in a coffee grinder and made a meal out of them if they might work better.
At least I would be able to get about the same amount in each case and I think that would bring the velocities closer together.

I like using the peanuts as I do not get any buildup in the barrel as I did with Dacron.
Never got much but it was there.
The peanuts are made from corn starch and do not burn.

If any one has any experience with fillers I would appreciate them chiming in with their experiences

Thanks,
beekeeper
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Case filler

Post by Ranch Dog »

You really need to be careful with fillers, my pressure testing made me a believer in not using it. Those tests where with cream of wheat. This is why shotgun loading is so specific about the components that make up a load. In effect, you are using various fillers to achieve a 100% case density. Any change to any of the components can make a considerable change in pressure.
Michael
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
If I use filler it is COW. If I am going to use it it gets used from the beginning with the lowest pressure load then right on through. This is with straight wall cases. I include 44WCF as a straight wall but not 38WCF.
Bottlenecks I have read can cause problems with fillers and it just does not seen an avenue I would want to investigate.
Mike in Peru
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Now I wish I had seen this thread first.

I'm curious what COW filler is as I'm sure it's nothing like my imagination is thinking.

Last, I'm curious if you could use a case as a cookie cutter with some foam board to make a filler?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Cream of Wheat , or Clip on Wheel Weights.
It is swapped for Grits sometimes w/ work ups as Grits are larger and lighter I think.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Rifle Reloading”