Press mounted bullet puller???

Do you have a product idea for Lee Precision?
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is not associated with Lee Precision, this is just a customer based discussion of product ideas.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Press mounted bullet puller???

Post by larryw »

Don't know if this is the right place or not, so i'll put it here
& hope I don't get yelled at to bad. But, that's OK also, since
I am almost deaf??? LOL
Anyway, a while back, I saw a video about some pretty
slick Lee products that were in the pipe, & supposed to be available soon.
I was specifically interested in a press mounted bullet puller, Cant find the video
& Lee does not list it, Sure would like something like it?? Any suggestions??
Also, anyone use that "Universal Expander" & what do you think of it?
looked pretty slick?? Well, that's all from this old coot for now?
Always remember, Safety, Safety, Safety....
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Steve
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Press mounted bullet puller???

Post by Steve »

I think the video you are refering to was a really old one and some of the stuff in it didn't make it to production.

I use the Universal Expander, like it enough that I use several of them.
Model 52
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Model 52 »

I saw a video on it awhile ago and it looked fast as it automatically ejected the bullet into a hopper - but the downside is that it automatically ejected the bullet. I've never seen it offered so I suspect it's never been produced, but I have no idea why.

-----

I've used a CH collet bullet puller for years with a number of different collets, and one thing I like about that designs the control it has in pressure on the bullet as well as the uniformity of the pressure on the bullet so they are undamaged. And, since it holds the bullet until I release the pressure on the collet, in some circumstances I can pull the case check the charge and then re-seat the bullet to the same depth by raising the ram again.

It's just my personal opinion but given that I seldom pull bullets, and pull very few when I do, I prefer the greater control over the process over greater speed.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by 62chevy »

I saw that video on this site some place. An inexpensive bullet puller sure would be nice. Those kinetic pullers don't work all that good and are messy.

I'll be using the universal flaring die when I get all my lead boolits lubed and sized.

What I'd like to see is a neck sizing die that actually sizes the neck instead of making it sorta round. The Hornady 150 gr just fell though some of my Federal once fired brass.
Je suis Charlie
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

I'd like that bullet puller, too.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

62chevy wrote:I'll be using the universal flaring die when I get all my lead boolits lubed and sized.

What I'd like to see is a neck sizing die that actually sizes the neck instead of making it sorta round. The Hornady 150 gr just fell though some of my Federal once fired brass.
Going a bit off topic with my reply and will start a new one if necessary and I'm just guessing that the 150-grain Hornady is a 30 caliber. Have you thought about using a different sized expander, even a custom expander, in your sizing die?
Michael
Steve

Post by Steve »

62chevy wrote:What I'd like to see is a neck sizing die that actually sizes the neck instead of making it sorta round. The Hornady 150 gr just fell though some of my Federal once fired brass.
I have had excellent results neck sizing with the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die. When I run it in twice (second time, rotated 180 degree) I have checked them with the calipers and find them very true.

If you want it smaller you can reduce the diameter of the mandrill by a couple thousandths.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Ranch Dog wrote:
62chevy wrote:I'll be using the universal flaring die when I get all my lead boolits lubed and sized.

Going a bit off topic with my reply and will start a new one if necessary and I'm just guessing that the 150-grain Hornady is a 30 caliber. Have you thought about using a different sized expander, even a custom expander, in your sizing die?
Yes a .308 win, factory rounds I fired to get brass. Didn't want to full length size because they were already formed to my chamber. The Lee neck sizing die does make them round if the brass is the right size or smaller but if they are bigger then the neck sizing die is only good for dents and dings. But I'm all ears on how to solve the problem. May not be necessary as my cast bullets that drop at .310 and .311 will not drop through just the Hornady at .308.
Je suis Charlie
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

Steve wrote:
62chevy wrote:What I'd like to see is a neck sizing die that actually sizes the neck instead of making it sorta round. The Hornady 150 gr just fell though some of my Federal once fired brass.
I have had excellent results neck sizing with the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die. When I run it in twice (second time, rotated 180 degree) I have checked them with the calipers and find them very true.

If you want it smaller you can reduce the diameter of the mandrill by a couple thousandths.
I'm thinking the brass is fireformed at .309 inside and the Lee mandrill is .308 but doesn't squeeze the nick down to .308 that is needed for the Hornady bullets.
Je suis Charlie
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have some LC 72 30-06 brass that has been fired 3 times and neck sized with the Lee Collet Neck Sizing die. Checking the inside diameter of the case with calapers I come up with .306 I have some Remington 30 cal bullets, checked their diameter with micrometer, measured .3085

Tried sticking it in the case with my fingers with the results I new I would have, it don't go in. I have necksized some where around a hole lot and way more than I can count 06 cases with the Lee die, and never had a bullet loose in the case.

Return to “Product Ideas”