Making gas checks

Tools that represent the "odds and ends" of bullet casting.
jdrslyr75
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Making gas checks

Post by jdrslyr75 »

With gas checks costing $30-$40 per 1000, how many here have invested in gas check making tooling? Do they produce usable checks and does it save enough money to warrant purchasing them?
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Making gas checks

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I recently finally started to tinker with the Pat Marlins Check Maker I bought. Mine is a .35” plain base version. I wanted the PB as I can make the GC’s from pop cans and cheaper sheet metal than the regular version. So far my only hold ups are I need a paper cutter since I can’t cut two lines parallel to each other from a pop can to save my life, and I didn’t realize I will need to push them on base first like with my Lyman or RCBS lube sizer to seat them. They look like tiny bottle caps almost and once seated they smooth out and really stay on there. The lead time on them is crazy long though as Pat seems to be a one man operation that actually tries to respond to each and every email he gets.

I guess it boils down to how much you shoot + what your time is worth + is it worth it to be self-sufficient and not have to worry about available stock. For a while even gas checks were hard to find but they are a cheap and easy thing to stock up on if you worried about it. I bought mine purely as I prefer to enjoy every aspect of the shooting and reloading hobby that I can which is why I even got into reloading and casting in the first place. Heck, I’ve even looked up the info on how to reload a primer. If the stuff to reload them was easy to obtain I would even do that. I actually save all my spent primers… Just in case someone comes up with a good system...
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I have a Charlie's FreeChex II & III. THE III is faster than the II but both are worth the $$. There are 2 reasons I'm glad to have them. First is availability, never a shortage. 2nd has to do with what is now called a "prepping" . I have an inherent mistrust of our government intentions.

Theses Freechexs make excellent GCs and I not any improvement or adverse issues with them.
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

I can take some time this weekend and do some pics of making some Pat Marlin checks. It's pretty easy once you figure it out.

I would love to see a step by step with the two different FreeChex systems.
62chevy
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by 62chevy »

I bought 1K for $18 shipped from a guy on castbullits. If I find I'm shooting more rifle bullets then I may invest in a gas check maker. I save my spent primers too in the hopes of reloading them too.
Je suis Charlie
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

62chevy wrote:I save my spent primers too in the hopes of reloading them too.
I'm so glad when i hear someone else does that. We are pretty rare.
daboone
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by daboone »

I've been saving them too. But only because I've heard that metal recyclers will take them. I also save my old brass for the same reason. Last year I exchanged my discarded brass for lead at a local recyclers. The days of getting WW from tire stores are gone. :cry:
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out.

When setting a job up for myself it must be Idiot Proof as well, as I am a bigger idiot than most people I know, and I prove it to myself everyday.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Well I'm not using this thing near as much as I thought I would. Turns out you either can't or can't very easily use the Lee sizing dies to crimp (or squeeze fit) these checks. If I break out the old Lyman or RCBS lube press then pushing them onto the base works fine. Ish. I went to coating my own bullets instead of using this really at all. I may just sell the thing.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I have both the Pat Marlin or Freechex III in all calibers I shoot.
I like the Freechex hands down for its ability to make the check in 1 (one) pull of the handle.
You do have to have a small press from Harbor Freight to use it but the same press can be used for all checkmakers and other jobs as well.
I understand someone has made a device that will allow you to use a freechex on a single stage reloading press but have not seen one yet or heard of anyone using one.
I have had little or no trouble installing freechex made checks and see no diference in shooting them over copper.
I use 14 thousanths aluminum flashing for all of my checks.

beekeepe
Missionary
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Missionary »

Greetings
I shoot alot of caliber .41 type firearms. Revolvers and rifles of all sorts. Some times it is not easy to find caliber .41 so years back I bought one of Pat's 1st model. It is slow and worksome but I am never out of checks. Plus there are sites where individuals who deal with cast bullets always have a stock of either copper or aluminum. So I try to keep a spare 1000 tucked away but if ever things get messed up by "big brother with small capacity" I will have the means to continue.
Mike in Peru

Return to “Accessories and Other Tools”