Lee new expanding plug for PTED

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Lee new expanding plug for PTED

Post by horseman »

Don't know who all has heard of Lee Precision's new square expanding plugs for the powder thru die. I just saw them mentioned a few days ago for the first time and there are a few u-tube videos out showing them. Works similar to the Lyman M die and gets good reviews so I ordered a couple from Titan reloading. 5 bucks each so price is very good. I have a Lyman M die for 9mm and I also have some NOE expanding plugs along with Lee's "universal" expanding die but I've not been overly satisfied with them and am back to using the "regular" expanding die from Lee. Perhaps this new expander will fit what I am looking for.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Lee new expanding plug for PTED

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have some from NOE but they're not hollow. No "powder-through" on them. I sold my .45 Colt revolver and am very close to getting out of my .357's so I doubt I need anything new.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

GasGuzzler wrote: 24 Mar 2024 05:25 I have some from NOE but they're not hollow. No "powder-through" on them. I sold my .45 Colt revolver and am very close to getting out of my .357's so I doubt I need anything new.
The handguns that I load for anymore is mostly 45 auto and 9mm and I load them on a LCT using the Pro disk measure. I am hoping that these new powder through inserts will be less "herky jerky" than the standard Lee flair die. Never liked that with Lee's original expanding plug. Any benefit more than that alone would be a bonus.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

horseman, can you add a link to the products? I've searched both Titan and Lee and cannot find what you are describing.
Michael
Royce

Post by Royce »

2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

You have to either call or email Lee, to have them make sure to get you the new ones. They did not change the part numbers...
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

BrianT wrote: 02 Apr 2024 04:40 You have to either call or email Lee, to have them make sure to get you the new ones. They did not change the part numbers...

I bought them from Titan. Googled New Lee square powder thru die expanding plug...Titan came up, showed on their site, ordered two, 5 bucks each, got them yesterday. The expanding portion of the plug is shorter than the original but the body is longer. Just put them in the dies yesterday and checked a couple nine mm cases. Seem to work fine but haven't really "tested" them yet with any reloading. Maybe today I'll load a box or two of 9mm's to see if any different from original. I don't really expect much difference.
BrianT
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BrianT »

If it's the new 9mm plug, you should see a ring, small raised area, on the bottom of the plug, otherwise they look almost identical. They said the ring was so it pulled out of the brass easier. The other ones, .38Spcl, .44Mag, .45ACP, look like the M dies, with the last 1/16" or so just a flat .001" step.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Just loaded 50 rounds of 9mm 124gr. plated FP over 5gr. Silhouette powder. The expanding plug worked flawlessly with the Pro Disk measure. The cases expanded just fine and came off the plug very smoothly and the bullet sat in the case with no wobble. No stickiness on pulling the case after flair and no brass "shavings". Definite improvement over the original plugs at least for the 9mm. Haven't tried the 45 auto yet but see no reason it won't perform the same.
reloader762

Post by reloader762 »

If you just want the new expander plug only, go to reloading dies then single dies then handgun powder through die, from the list select the powder through expanded die of the caliber you're interested in. Click on that die and under Product Information click here for parts and select the expander plug only if you already have the original die with the old style expander. Here is a list of the current two-step expanders and part numbers as of a couple of weeks ago, there may be more by now. I purchased the 9 mm, 40, 38/357 and 45 ACP expander plugs only, and they were all the new style.
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.51.58 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by reloader762 on 12 Apr 2024 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht

Return to “Handgun”