New to reloading with Lee Pro 4000

Tell us a bit about yourself!
kydave19
My Press Choice: Progressive

New to reloading with Lee Pro 4000

Post by kydave19 »

Hello from an old fart, long time shooter, just taking up reloading though.

Couldn't afford the Dillon and read some good (and bad) things about the Pro 4000. On sale at Midway so I took the jump.

I'm not casting (yet) myself, but I've been shooting my kind friend's cast reloads in my Glock 34 for a couple of years now & figured I could buy cast bullets for now and start reloading.

Big question, as so many folks sell cast bullets, but reloading data doesn't seem to specifically keep up.

SO: Is anyone using a Pro 4000, Winchester 244, and Summit City Bullets in either 9mm 124 Gr NLG BB or 9mm 147 Gr NLG BB?

If so, please give me details on powder charge and overall cartridge length for the respective bullet with 244.

If not - who has information on the closest thing to my planned loads?

PS - I've been shooting a 155gr cast bullet over various powders load by my friend, but since reloading to cut expenses, I see (obviously) that lighter cast bullets cost less (makes sense - less lead to buy).

My carry Glock (G19) likes 124 grain JHP, so I wanted to see if the G34 would like a 125/124 in a cast bullet as well. If not, I'll go to the 145/147 commercially cast bullets & work up a load.

The Winchester 244 Winclean, although relatively new, seems like something worth trying & I'm hoping that with hi-tek coating and this powder those hanging clouds of smoke on a still day will stop obscuring the steel plates! LOL!!

Thanks for welcoming me to this forum.

Kentucky Dave (who has been living in far Northern California for many years now)

P.P.S. Should I bother adding a factory crimp die into the empty station 4?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: New to reloading with Lee Pro 4000

Post by GasGuzzler »

I used the FCD in the 4th hole, especially with cast bullets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
MoMan

Post by MoMan »

You can never go wrong with the FCD!
MO

Member: Kentucky Regulators G.C./LaSalle Sportsmen's Club/NRA
LEE 4-hole Turret press, LEE PRO 1000 Progressive press
kydave19

Post by kydave19 »

Thanks! I ordered it.
kydave19

Post by kydave19 »

Off & running! I made 10 cartridges each of low charge, mid charge, and full charge and shot them today with my buddy doing the chrono work!!

First off, everything went bang at the proper moments. Functioned my Glock 34 just fine!

I loaded HSM 125g cast RN bullets into new Sig 9mm brass, with Fed primers, and Win 244 powder. The powder was at 3.6+/-. 3.8+/-, & 4.1+/-; 10 each.

The hottest charge was the most accurate and it didn't feel all that hot. But it averaged 1129fps (the lowest load averaged 1005fps).

All in all, I'm ready to slowly start using the press to its full capacity, bit by bit. It now has the factory crimp die in place.

My first bullet and best group!
First cartridge small.jpg
First reloading session results 031224 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kydave19

Post by kydave19 »

Ooops! Here's the Pro 4000.

Return to “Member Introductions”