My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Need help with Lee Loader

Post by Magnum0710 »

cj8281 wrote: 21 Nov 2023 19:56 A couple of questions:
What year was your Lee Loader made?
Which charge card are you using?
What powder dipper are you using?
What is stamped on your die body?
I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's from the late 60s, it has the old "Special X" dipper.
I'm using the new updated charge card and depending on powder I use either the Special X (.3) or .5 dipper but I weigh my charges and use multiple books and sources. I actually haven't used the charge card since I started.
The die body just says "Lee Loader" no other stamp.
I've actually gotten the original die and tools to work really well but I did buy a replacement die from Lee, I also picked up a 9mm die since most of the tools are the same.
What's kind of cool is the new 38/357 die has a different crimp than the original die. The original die has a normal roll crimp, the replacement die has what I'd describe as a cross between a roll and taper crimp. Anything with a crimp groove gets the original die, Anything that doesn't gets the new die.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Need help with Lee Loader

Post by cj8281 »

Hi, sorry haven't been on for awhile. The Special X dipper in an early one, it is the same size as the older .020 dipper. The .3cc is actually a bit smaller than the 020 dipper (.3277cc). The original charge card would have had the date on it, I suspect your kit is from the early '60s because of the dipper. Most of the mid to late '60s 38spl die bodies had six hack marks in two groups of three. I have found the same die body in 38spl, 357 mag, 38 S&W and 9mm. The 9mm kit has a different decapping chamber which allows the case to sit higher.

Return to “Lee Loader®”