PRO 1000 - Primer "Sensor" Clip - a question!

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
severnsider
My Press Choice: Progressive

PRO 1000 - Primer "Sensor" Clip - a question!

Post by severnsider »

Good day to you all.
Is it possible that some of you good folks on here could explain how the "Sensor Clip" is supposed to operate?
As I see it, if there's a case in the system the clip is held away from the boss on the stem of the little primer "ram" (pin). With no case in the system the clip should bear against the boss on the stem of the primer pin and thus prevent it from falling down and thereby preventing another primer from loading onto the pin.
The thing has never worked well for me, and now it does nothing at all. Nothing is bent , twisted or otherwise out of place as far as I can tell. I'm beginning to wonder whether the slot cut in the underside of the shell plate (and into which the "Sensor Clip" fits) has been cut deep enough to enable the clip to put sufficient pressure on the primer pin stem?
Or could it be that the primer feed tray is worn? CCI primers exclusively.
Any thoughts or advice gratefully received, thanks!
Fyodor
Founding Member & Supporter

Re: PRO 1000 - Primer "Sensor" Clip - a question!

Post by Fyodor »

Are you sure the sensor or wire spring are installed correctly? It is a bit tricky if you don't have a reference and not doing it regularly.

The plastic sensor is actuated by the case when it travels between station 1 and 2. The straight leg of the wire sits in the slot under the primer seating stem, preventing it from fully dropping, thus not letting a new primer be fed onto it. When the sensor is actuated, the spring is bent outwards slightly, and the stem drops, a primer is fed.

The printing system is over of the things I find genius on the press. I have three of them, and it just works.

Can you take a picture from the sensor and spring (where they interact and from below rear, where the wire goes into the carrier), and maybe a video?
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

Thanks Fyodor,

I have dismantled everything and checked for correct installation.

The spring is fine and the straight leg of the wire is in the slot. Since writing my original post I have investigated further.

With no case travelling between station 1 and station 2 the primer pin is indeed held up by the pressure of the wire leg on the boss/collar of the priming pin. If the sensor is activated the primer pin falls, so all seems to be operating normally.

My problem seems to be that even when the priming pin is held in the slightly-raised position (i.e. no case travelling between station 1 and station 2) the primers still manage to slip through and get themselves onto the priming pin.

I'm now beginning to think that perhaps the primer feed trough may be a little distorted or worn, so I'll try and buy a new one and see if that resolves the problem!
Fyodor

Post by Fyodor »

Have you checked that the priming pin is not upside down? This can happen, and one side is shorter.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
severnsider

Post by severnsider »

Ha ha! Yes, All OK - the shorter end is downwards. I think it's an issue with the primer trough, but thanks for all your input.

Return to “Progressive”