Mould Temperature #2

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
MikeW1
My Press Choice: Progressive

Mould Temperature #2

Post by MikeW1 »

So far I' haven't figured out how, if indeed it's possible, to add a photo plus comments as a reply to a post or not.
Surface TC REZ.jpg
Heat shelf.JPG
Guess another topic won't hurt anything though.

With a lot of experimenting with moulds, stem TC's, PIDS and a VOM. all of the few moulds I have responded well to a mould temperature of about 430° F. So present method is I don't use the little shelves I added to the pots years back as my recollection was I never more than 358° readings on of the shelf itself. I run the hotplate at 440°and can rest the mould for a break and it'll still be right where I want it when I get back.

Pots are set at 365° C and the feeder on at 366° and cast pot doesn't drop any while refilling it.

FWIW (probably not much!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
John Adams 1826
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Mould Temperature #2

Post by farmerjim »

I also use a hotplate to preheat my molds. I also use it to preheat my lead ingots before adding them to the pot.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I tried the over-engineered, super complex route and it didn't suit me. Went back to basics and made better bullets.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

GasGuzzler wrote: 31 Aug 2023 04:31 I tried the over-engineered, super complex route and it didn't suit me. Went back to basics and made better bullets.
Yup, same for me. Back to basics except for my PID. I sure do like the melt staying
at the same temp all the way down without constantly fussing with the pot's temp control.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

An older thread but what the heck nothing else seems to be goin' on. Have to admit, haven't cast a bullet in a couple years but I used to do quite a lot. Most was wheel weight alloy and I ran my pot and moulds hot. Kept the melt between 700 and 725 degrees, ran the moulds hot as well. I went as fast as I could pour, drop, and refill the mould. Also never dropped sprues back into the melt. I kept a small dish with water and a damp wash cloth in the dish. Whenever the sprue's starting feeling a bit to "easy" I'd place the mold on the cloth for a few seconds to cool. Run a big sprue, and I mean big, sometimes (usually) the sprue would run the length of the mould. I made good bullets, and I liked them "frosty" looking. Just my method.

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”