Do 44-40 WCF Cases need case lube for re-sizing?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
oscarflytyer
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Do 44-40 WCF Cases need case lube for re-sizing?

Post by oscarflytyer »

My Cimarron/Uberti 44-40s (Revolver and 1873) (and also my 1916 Winchester Model 92 Saddle Ring ) will all chamber .430" cast bullets. As mentioned above, I am using Starline brass. And Lee dies.
GasGuzzler wrote: 03 Feb 2024 18:17 Imperial is GREAT for some things. DO NOT use it on bottle necks unless you are very slow moving and light with it. It'll dent shoulders from hydraulic pressure.
My experience with Imperial differs. I use it for all brass. I just drag 2 fingers through it lightly, rub b/n fingers and thumb and roll the case in my fingers. re-lube fingers every 4-5 cases, or sooner if case drags bad. Never had it dent - least not yet. Another thing I learned (espec using the spray lube, but regardless) - Clean the die bodies occasionally! You won't believe how filthy they become! Same with seater stems using cast bullets.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

My quote says "unless you are slow moving and light with it". What you describe is slow and light so it works. Count the time cleaning dies and it's REALLY slow. To each his own.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Royce

Post by Royce »

My tin of Imperial sizing wax gives instructions on how to apply it. I have had no trouble following the instructions.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

...yet it's still slow. And if you want it to work like it should, it will dent cases.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Royce

Post by Royce »

GasGuzzler wrote: 26 Feb 2024 19:07 ...yet it's still slow. And if you want it to work like it should, it will dent cases.
It does not dent cases when I use it. I have steel dies for 44 WCF and 38 WCF and 32 WCF. About every third case I lube with just a little Imperial wax, and not on the neck, only the main body. It's fabulous if you use it properly. I do have to wipe each round with a rag after the round is done of course. Night and day difference compared to any other brand that I have tried.

So far as I know I have not lost any cases when using Imperial wax.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret

Return to “Handgun Reloading”