357 Magnum Lee Classic Loader

The little red box that started it all!
Magnum0710
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

357 Magnum Lee Classic Loader

Post by Magnum0710 »

I'm having some issues with my 357 magnum Lee Classic and was wondering if anyone had some advice. I verified through Lee Precision that the Lee Classic only neck sizes the case, even with pistol rounds and I think that might be the issue.
The cases are once fired from my revolver, even after resizing they won't fit the chambers fully. I can force them in and they'll work but I have to force them out as well. I have no issues with factory ammo and I have no issues with cases that were fired in my previous revolver. I also have no issue with 38 special cases, doesn't matter which revolver they came from. It happens with loaded rounds and empty resized cases.
When I shoot factory 357 the cases eject just fine. I thought it could have been carbon build up from 38 special but I made sure that wasn't the issue. I soaked the cylinder overnight and put my bore brush in a drill and cleaned it thoroughly. It got rid of alot of fouling and I took a small bronze brush in the drill and scrubbed it again. I resized a couple cases and they still don't fit.
Is there anything I can do besides moving up to a press and traditional reloading dies? I plan on getting a press either way but I don't think I'll be able to anytime soon. The Lee Classic works great for me since I don't have alot of extra space. I'm probably going to have to save up and get the Hand Press. If I force the cases in and out a few times they start to fit better but that's far from ideal.
I guess for right now I'll just have to use the cases that I know work forsure and only load 38 special for range use until I can get a press. I was considering having the chambers reamed but with the cases expanding I don't think it would help the situation.
I'm wondering if I can use 38 cases for low end 357 data and seat my bullets out further? I don't own a 38 only revolver but if I seat em out long it would prevent them being chambered in a 38 and keep pressures down. I do have load data that duplicates the old FBI +p load, perhaps that with a hardcast bullet would make a good woods load? Should get me around 950 fps from a 4 inch barrel. I'm also considering the 173 grain Keith bullet, it was kind of made to be used in 38 cases and seated long for 357.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 357 Magnum Lee Classic Loader

Post by RBHarter »

You most likely have a situation where 2-3 different reamers were used to finish the cylinder. So it's possible you're getting 3-6 dimensionally different fired cases back . When sized they only fit the chamber they came for or one larger . Great for accuracy not so much for utility.

I have my bullet sizers mounted on a cafe table base . It's about a 25# iron disc with a 30" 1-1/2" piece of steel pipe screwed into it with a flange on top . I attached a 12" triangle of 3/4 plywood to it and it's solid .

Haunt a forum like castboolits for a while and a press and dies can be had for half of new . It might even be a more expensive unit and less than the new hand press and colletts with dies .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....

Return to “Lee Loader®”