I think I've lost my mind...

All 3 and 4–hole turret presses.
rman
My Press Choice: Turret

I think I've lost my mind...

Post by rman »

I have been loading on a Lee Classic 4 hole turret since they first came out. Most of my loading has been semi-auto calibers, but I have loaded a lot of .357 Magnum ammo for my Rossi 92. I'm on a revolver kick after neglecting them for several years. My die setup for ,357 is a hodgepodge of different dies, but always worked well. The sizer is a Lyman, expander is a Lee powder thru, seater is an RCBS and I have a Lee carbide factory crimp die. I use the new version Auto Prime and have an extension on the expander to clear the primer holder.

I have several .38 special only revolvers I want to shoot. I didn't want to fool with my .357 setup so I bought a new Lee Deluxe Carbide 4 die set for .38/.357 and a new extension for the expander. I already had an extra turret. I installed the resizer - no problem. I installed the new powder thru expander and that's when the trouble started. I left the powder funnel on top of the expander and adjusted for just the right amount of flare. Then I removed the funnel and replaced it with the extension and an Auto drum measure. I filled the hopper, turned it to the on position and ran a case through. No powder in the case. I tried several times, but still had the same results. I replaced the Auto Drum with a Pro Auto Disk I have. Same results. It's like the floating extension piece is not moving up far enough to actuate the measure. What can I possibly be doing wrong?
rman

Re: I think I've lost my mind...

Post by rman »

Anybody?
2dollarbill
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by 2dollarbill »

Take it apart. Sometimes that sizer gets in the wrong position. I know, trust me. You will also have some powder to brush back into your holding tank.
I have done the same thing many times, loaded perfect rounds, a year later, come back and "hey" where's the powder, Come on man, where's the powder?

Safe travels and fun reloads brother,

2db
rman

Post by rman »

Thanks for your help. I'll give it a try today.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Couple other things to look for, make sure you have the hopper turned to "on" , I know, kinda silly suggestion, but still, also check and make sure you didn't leave the o ring from the funnel on there. The measure has it's own and you don't want two there. Again, basic, but easy to miss sometimes. :oops:
rman

Post by rman »

The hopper has definitely been turned on. Your suggestion about the O ring is a good one though. I think I may have an extra O ring all right. I'm going to check it now. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know later if that was it.
rman

Post by rman »

horseman wrote: 07 Sep 2023 08:01 Couple other things to look for, make sure you have the hopper turned to "on" , I know, kinda silly suggestion, but still, also check and make sure you didn't leave the o ring from the funnel on there. The measure has it's own and you don't want two there. Again, basic, but easy to miss sometimes. :oops:
I guess I still don't have a definitive answer yet. I removed the extension. It had an O ring between the extension and the expander die. I put one of my Pro Auto Disc measures directly on the expander and it works perfectly. It's usable now, but I still can't use Auto Prime. Next step is to put the extension on with no O ring and use the same measure.
Again, thanks for your help.
rman

Post by rman »

It's a long, convoluted story, so I'll condense it. I got the new set of .38 Special dies to work by removing the extension and attaching a Pro Auto Disk measure directly to the expander die. I reset my dies on the .357 turret and tried them with the Auto Drum and the extension. It would not drop any powder. I took off the extension and attached the Auto Drum directly on top of the expander. Still no powder. I took it apart and found no crud or any reason why it shouldn't work. Replaced it with another Pro Auto Disk and it works fine. The Auto Drum will be a project for another day.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Maybe it's just a "bad one". I'd call Lee and tell them the issue. If that doesn't fix the problem then send it back to Lee Precision, they'll fix it or send you a new one. That's what I would do...........in fact I did do that with an Auto Drum that was giving me problems. They fixed it.
rman

Post by rman »

That will probably be the next step. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Turret”