30-06 to 8mm

Share your projects and problem solving with other forum members! New sub-forum for 3D printer projects for your reloading needs.
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: 30-06 to 8mm

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Try a dose of Trail Boss in 8mm. I forget how much but I worked it up for a while before finding the accuracy sweet spot. All the TB loads I've worked up are better results than 2400, Red Dot, and Unique by a good margin.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I have been chopping off the nose of all my mil full metal jackets in Lyman universal trimmer and then putting in lee quick trim to make wider meplat. Mostly 30 cal bullets. Easy to see jacket thickness this way. Will have to check out pig performance.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I don't remember where I saw it in the last couple of days, but someone was trimming the tips off spire point 30 cal bullets and making flat nose projectiles to load in .30-30. I was wondering how the exposed jacket/lead interface at the new leading edge/meplat held together at "useful velocities". And what would it do in animal tissue?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Zippidydoodah
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Load-All

Post by Zippidydoodah »

I had time on my hands and have plenty of factory jacketed ammo for hunting purposes, but will attempt to see if the military can be used for hunting. All fmj are different and can be seen when cutting. Some cut easy, some are harder to cut. Some have tougher jackets. All will be taken into account. I used to pull military bullets and rebullet with Speer, Sierra, Hornady and Remington but this is only experiment. I have plenty of factory 224, 243, 257, 270, 284,308, 311, 338, 357, 44 and 457 to last me but like I said I had time on my hands.some fmj is hard to find (8x56r is .329), and I have to swage 338 hornady down to 329 for hunting. It takes me 30 seconds or so to convert a fmj to hunting tip.
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

I have been making my own 7 & 8 MM brass for many years.
When I started reloading the man behind the counter at the LGS was also a make your own brass reloader and he helped me along by inviting me to watch his operation
He used RCBS Trim dies to form the brass and to cut to proper length.
Then into a trimmer to get the perfect length.
I then run then through a full length sizer die.
I have always done it that way and now use the Lee trim pilots and cutter to get perfect length brass
I use a cordless drill to power the brass and installed golf balls on the cutters to get a better grip.
Since I only shoot lead at a reduced velocity than jacketed I have some 7MM brass that has 30 or more loadings.
You only need to make sure to anneal it ever so often .
I neck size only and have brass dedicated to each weapon.

beekeeper

Return to “DIY Projects & Tips”