Another new caliber - 38 S&W questions

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Another new caliber - 38 S&W questions

Post by Royce »

So I am reloading for another new caliber - to me - it's the 38 S&W. I got a supply of once fired cases and cleaned them from the local range. I bought some 146 grain cast bullets from the Old West company. I have a set of Lee carbide dies.

Is there a Lee FCD that will work?

If anyone has a pet load that works that would be appreciated too. I currently have AA #5, Bullseye, W231, and Unique powders on hand that seem appropriate.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Another new caliber - 38 S&W questions

Post by RBHarter »

If you want an FCD the closest standard will be for a 9×18 Makarov if there isn't one for the 38 Short/NP/short Colts/38-200 .

Check the throats and groove dia . They won't be .357/8 , more likely to be .361-.364 .

The cartridge came from a time when a cartridge would be identical in 5 makers arms with 5 different names so S&W wouldn't have to put Colts on their gun and the opposite. It's probably why there's a 380ACP/380 Auto/9mm Browning/9×17/short/Kurtz/curto too aside from language barriers .

It's the old standard with a 38 cal case dia and 36 cal ball which was the immediate "fix" from the 38 cal healed bullets that went into 38 cal barrels from straight bored through 38 cal cylinders with .380 dia bullets .

About 2.5 gr of Unique under a 160 gr .163 dia bullet made holes in an 8.5×11 sheet at 25 yd from Moms H&R .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Another new caliber - 38 S&W questions

Post by Royce »

Mine is a WWII surplus Enfield so that sounds like a plan. I ordered a Lee 9 MM Makarov FCD.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret

Return to “Handgun”