Powder measure for 32 S&W Long wadcutters?

Large rifle case volumetric powder charging using the time tested Perfect Powder Measure and the new Classic Powder Measure.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Powder measure for 32 S&W Long wadcutters?

Post by Royce »

I have some 98 grain 32 S&W Long powder coated wadcutters. The powder charges for those are well below any powder charge that I can throw using the Lee Auto Disc powder measure. Is there some way to automatically dispense a powder charge this small? I have a Lyman #55 powder measure.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Powder measure for 32 S&W Long wadcutters?

Post by RBHarter »

I've thrown down to 2.5 unique in the UniFlow with the large drum but it drags so 3.5 is kind of the minimum but I have a small drum too . I've run H1000 and H110 through it as well as the flake powders .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Royce

Post by Royce »

RBHarter wrote:I've thrown down to 2.5 unique in the UniFlow with the large drum but it drags so 3.5 is kind of the minimum but I have a small drum too . I've run H1000 and H110 through it as well as the flake powders .

That's about the same range I am able to go to using the Lee Auto Disc powder dispenser. I need to be less than that to be able to use the 98 grain full wadcutters.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

The piston in the small drum is only half the dia or less of the large drum I'm sure it will drop smaller charges I just haven't tested it .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

You didn't mention the powders you are interested in using. If you don't have the Micro Charge Bar, I doubt it is possible with the Auto Disk. I'm using the Auto Drum with the 25 Auto, which is about as small as you can get. It's a 1.2-grain charge of Unique.
Michael
Royce

Post by Royce »

Ranch Dog wrote:You didn't mention the powders you are interested in using. If you don't have the Micro Charge Bar, I doubt it is possible with the Auto Disk. I'm using the Auto Drum with the 25 Auto, which is about as small as you can get. It's a 1.2-grain charge of Unique.
I don't have the Micro Charge bar or the Auto Drum - maybe I need one of those? I have Unique, Bullseye, and W-W 231 on hand that seem likely candidates for this.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I didn't care for the A-Drum at the start. Once I figured it out, I loved it. I have six of them.
Michael
Royce

Post by Royce »

Ranch Dog wrote:I didn't care for the A-Drum at the start. Once I figured it out, I loved it. I have six of them.
I probably need one of those too. I ordered a micro charge bar this morning. Need to try it and the Lyman #55 first. I might also modify a disc to throw the charge I am after. I have a lot of extra ones that could be filled with epoxy and drilled.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

Yea, those tiny charges can be rough..
Don't know if they still do but, Lee used to offer a "Blank" no holes disc. You drilled your own holes then drilled & installed a set screw through the side to fine tune the charge out of that cavity. Best of luck..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns

Return to “Bench/Stand Mounted Powder Measures”