Hi from New Zealand

Tell us a bit about yourself!
SkinnerD
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Hi from New Zealand

Post by SkinnerD »

Hello people.. I first reloaded back in the 70's with my first centrefire, a 303 SMLE full wood that I sporterised myself and always regret selling, as you do. At the time I got a Lee Loader for it and a tub of powder. Then I got hitched, first baby arrived and the rifle, LL and components got sold as a package to pay some bill I cannot recollect. Fast forward and today I have more reloading gear for more calibers than I'll ever admit to with LLs for 15 of them including 12g and 410 Bore. I've managed to double up on some so am always on the lookout for swaps etc. The only pistol calibres I have are 45 Colt, 44 Mag and 357 Mag. The calibres I most want to acquire are 32-20, 44-40, 454 Casull, 44 Special, 22 Hornet and 223, in that order. The only calibres I have that I do not also own a firearm in are 45/70 and 270. Maybe the day will come. I mostly trot out a LL when I feel the urge to load 303B or 30-30. A couple of all time favourites. Other than that, the baby's grew up, I now have 8 grandkids and at least one of them, at 9 yrs old, is mad-keen on shooting and reloading. I suspect he will inherit a fair stash of goodies in due course if none of the others feel the urge. And he is starting on a LL. Thank you Richard Lee.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Hi from New Zealand

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome to the forum !

I load for a fair number of cartridges.
I have a fair number of die sets that I have no desire to own an arm for but are useful getting from what I have to what I need .
A 256 Win mag , the 25-357 , would be sweet in a short rifle .
With a Ruger BlackHawk 45 Colts I can safely say I have little want of a 454 anymore .

Mostly Americans , 3-4 Germans , a Swede , I think an Italian and a Spaniard ..... I think maybe a couple of Zealanders and Aussies . A rather fickle lot actually.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
SkinnerD

Post by SkinnerD »

Ha, yes I do a bit of that too. I load for 7mm08 but don't shoot it as I have and prefer 7x57mm. But I got into 7x57mm through loading for a relative and was impressed enough with the calibre to want to shoot it myself. I have the 454 because 45 Colts have been in short supply here and I can shoot 45 Colt in it - and I wanted a lever in that calibre. The 454 is a Rossi 92 by way of LSI who slicked and re-tempered the action etc. I don't put the 454 ammo thru it for plinking that's for sure - shoulder is good for a couple of shots then it lets me know it's had enough. Thks for the welcome.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum! I'm a 303B reloader; I love the cartridge. Unfortunately, my reloading has dropped to zero activity, not because of components (I have plenty), but because the move off of the ranch has left me with nowhere to shoot.
Michael
SkinnerD

Post by SkinnerD »

Hi Michael, don't you hate it when that happens! Hope you find a congenial range soon. Thks for the welcome.

Return to “Member Introductions”