unobtainable L.L.444 marlin

The little red box that started it all!
wilecoyote
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

unobtainable L.L.444 marlin

Post by wilecoyote »

can a working .444 marlin Lee Loader be obtained by cannibalizing, spacing, coupling or modifying parts from other dies of the same Loader line but of other calibers, or intended for different guns ?
(I ask because, before getting the correct .444 press dies, I was temporarily able to make do with .44 magnum dies, including the old Lee Speed Die, even with the short Hornady Leverevolution brass, although not with bench-rest scores)
I understand that the question may seem strange, if not blasphemous, but the .444 Lee Loader has not been available here for a long time, today it would be a big trouble to import it used from e-bay, and I prefer to ask before chasing and/or mutilating other fully functional L.L. tools.
thanks to all !
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: unobtainable L.L.444 marlin

Post by RBHarter »

I would think so . A 44 mag with a base cup deep enough to provide a stop at the appropriate length for sizing and seating. Stacked washers in a pinch
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

How popular is the 444 Marlin in Italy?
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm not sure how successful it would work. I've attached the SAAMI cartridge drawings; they are different. At the web (.2" from the base), the 444 Marlin is .01" larger. So, the 44 Mag die body will get hung on the web. The length would also be an issue.

Do you not have a press?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Michael
wilecoyote

Post by wilecoyote »

RBHarter wrote:I would think so . A 44 mag with a base cup deep enough to provide a stop at the appropriate length for sizing and seating. Stacked washers in a pinch

thanks for the positive thinking. at least this would justify then measuring the stacked washers to produce a single appropriate spacer !
wilecoyote

Post by wilecoyote »

Ranch Dog wrote:I'm not sure how successful it would work. I've attached the SAAMI cartridge drawings; they are different. At the web (.2" from the base), the 444 Marlin is .01" larger. So, the 44 Mag die body will get hung on the web. The length would also be an issue.Do you not have a press?
...the .444 is not very common here, and used by a few aficionados for wild boars.
I have presses and everything I need to traditionally reload the .444_
the issue is that I also have a hungry lathe to feed :D : your pdf drawings would motivate me going deeper about this matter.
if something good comes out, it will be my pleasure to communicate the results.
thank you very much for the input !
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

In that this is a straight-walled case, what should work is just the sizing die (#91112). Pull the primer punch out of it; you might need to ream out the treads so that the Loader tool can be used to free the case from the die. Can you get that die in Italy?
Michael
wilecoyote

Post by wilecoyote »

Ranch Dog wrote:In that this is a straight-walled case, what should work is just the sizing die (#91112). Pull the primer punch out of it; you might need to ream out the treads so that the Loader tool can be used to free the case from the die. Can you get that die in Italy?
...if currently produced, each Lee item is normally available here, today.
if the the sizing die (#91112) belong to the (#90562) 444 Marlin Lee 3 die set, it could belong to one of the traditional sets I already have for the .444 (Lee, Hornady and Redding), and this too could be an interesting alternative input, even more if in conjunction with the Lee Hand Press, for use in the field.
in fact I am adequately equipped for every caliber I use, including various presses, bench-bolted and not.
I confess that what has had my full attention are your SAAMI drawings, your related considerations of above and the possibility of tinkering with the lathe, time allowing even from scratch at the worst, to obtain an alternative single piece doing the function of the L.L._
thank again, Sir: all your inputs are really precious and welcome !
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yep, if you already have a Lee die set for the 444 Marlin, you have it. The Hand Press would be the way to go over the Loader.

So you have the drawings, but die drawings are a bit different. I understand the typical die is cut .008" over the cartridge drawings. In one of the editions of Lee's Modern Reloading, there was a note that they cut to .006" over for a truer fit.
Michael
wilecoyote

Post by wilecoyote »

Ranch Dog wrote:Yep, if you already have a Lee die set for the 444 Marlin, you have it. The Hand Press would be the way to go over the Loader.

So you have the drawings, but die drawings are a bit different. I understand the typical die is cut .008" over the cartridge drawings. In one of the editions of Lee's Modern Reloading, there was a note that they cut to .006" over for a truer fit.
So you have the drawings, but die drawings are a bit different. : reminding me that the map is not the territory, with this statement alone you have saved me hours of possible tinkering, being a tinkerer :oops: and not a tool & die maker.
you also added another piece to my puzzle. thanks again for your care and attention!

Return to “Lee Loader®”