New production 357/38 loader

The little red box that started it all!
huntnfish08
My Press Choice: Single Stage

New production 357/38 loader

Post by huntnfish08 »

I've read the old thread about loading both 38 and 357 with the same die.
I'm curious about the new production loaders. They're sold as both calibers. If a guy wants to load both should he just get a 38 die and use washers for 357?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: New production 357/38 loader

Post by RBHarter »

The crimp length is the only thing that should change between the 2 . A stop washer is called for if you are crimping and the tool is set for a 38 Special . The thickness of the difference in case length .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
huntnfish08

Post by huntnfish08 »

So a 38 would theoretically work for both but a new 357 wouldn't work for 38?
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Most likely at least in the past 38/357 dies have been interchangeable unless a particular die was called out specifically as a 357 . The old CH pre circa 1974 had a set specific to each but that was because of the die design . The big 4 makers make dies that do both cartridges , I believe RCBS and Hornady include a spacer so that dies may be set up for 38 Special and the spacer aka precision washer can be placed under the die nut for correct length for 357 .
You will find other multi cartridge die sets 45 ACP/AR/Cowboy , 45 Colts/454 , there's another common one ......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I'm a bit confused (actually been that way since 2016), but is this thread topic about the Lee Classic Loader, aka "whack-a-mole", or bench press with standard dies?

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

RBHarter wrote:You will find other multi cartridge die sets 45 ACP/AR/Cowboy , 45 Colts/454 , there's another common one ......
.40SW and 10mm
mr surveyor wrote:I'm a bit confused (actually been that way since 2016), but is this thread topic about the Lee Classic Loader, aka "whack-a-mole", or bench press with standard dies?

jd
I thought the topic was about Lee Loaders not dies.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Lufbery
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Lufbery »

I'm not sure how new a production you're asking about, but I bought my Lee Classic Loader in .38 Special at the end of 2019.

The die is, in fact, marked for both .38 and .357 and I've loaded both. The reason the kits are marketed differently is because they come with just one scoop and set of load data that's cartridge specific. If you buy the .38 Special kit, you get one scoop and load data for .38 Special and if you buy the >357 Magnum kit, you get a larger scoop and .357 load data.

I bought a Lee safety scale and perfect powder measure and a full set of dippers, so I'm not reliant on the data or the dipper in the kit. I also finally bought a hand priming too and shell holder set (also from Lee). I loaded some light practice rounds in .357 brass with Trail Boss powder and 158 LSWC bullets. I've got some 125 gr. Hornady XTP bullets that I'm planning to load in .357 Magnum with a minimum to medium charge of CFE Pistol to see if I can get a mid-range .357 load for practice in my Ruger LCR.

The key to loading either .357 or .38 with the die is to set the seating stem to the correct length. That seems to be a pretty easy task — I basically screw the seating stem in a whole bunch, and seat a bullet. The bullet will be too long at first. Then I unscrew the seating stem and give the bullet another whack, repeating as necessary until the bullet is seated at the proper depth. Then turn the die over, crimp the cartridge, and load another one. :)
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by cj8281 »

Lufbery, the old 9mm set can be used to load 38 spl and 357 with different dippers, charge cards and decapping chamber. The die bodies are the same.

Return to “Lee Loader®”