Cast Rifle Bullets

Using your home cast bullets as a ammunition component. Group buys are listed here.
bayou
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Cast Rifle Bullets

Post by bayou »

Hi, All -

Here is a pic of loaded powder coated projectiles along with a pic of a target that was shot with the same type of ammunition on Friday, Dec. 17, 2021. These are RCBS 185 grain cast 30 cal projectiles loaded in 30-06 cases. I cast the projectiles and then powder coated them using Eastwood Ford Light Blue powder coating. They were sized and gas checked with Sage's copper gas checks. My charge was a respectable 45.2 grains of IMR 4064 with a COL of 2.925". Even with this level of powder charge, there was no lead fouling - just the usual and customary powder residue in the barrel.

These projectiles were shot out of a 1979 vintage Rem 700. The rifle and scope were previously dead-on zeroed at 100 yards using the same charge of 4064 (45.2 grains) but pushing a 168 grain Nosler Custom Competition match projectile and with a 3.30" COL.

With these powder coated projectiles, I used the very same scope setting as with the Custom Competition projectiles, and changed nothing.

To my great surprise and gratification, these projectiles produced a single clover-leaf style pattern over a 3 shot set. I never expected that type of result! So, I am rather pleased with these powder coated and gas checked projectiles!

I have no idea how these projectiles would perform on game. I'm not a hunter but I just wonder how they would perform. I'd like to try them out on 4 or 5 milk jugs of water just to see what happens to the projectiles on impact!

So, a lot of fun with these things!

Pic:

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Cast Rifle Bullets

Post by Ranch Dog »

It just doesn't get any better than that! Well done!
Michael
bayou

Post by bayou »

Thanks, RD!

When things of your own crafting tend to work, it's enormously gratifying!

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

2000+ fps you can pretty much expect cup and core damage from WW with that much meplat out to about 150 yd .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
bayou

Post by bayou »

Thanks, RB. Yes, this projectile does have a broad and generous meplat. And I am casting with WW material.

Bayou
bayou
NRA Life Member

Return to “Cast Bullets, Buckshot, & Slugs”