How Far Do You Go?

Topics not related to the forum categories.
Forum rules
Keep it civil and mind the rules! Absolutely no ranting!
jlhog
My Press Choice: Single Stage

How Far Do You Go?

Post by jlhog »

When prepping cases? Do you prime the cases also for future use? That way they are ready whenever you want to load a batch for the range.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: How Far Do You Go?

Post by RBHarter »

I did when I lived in the land of what's rust for pistols . I still will if for example I were sorting on Monday , doing the size flair on Wednesday , and intended to load on Friday kind of a situation .
Mostly I prime as I load the tray for charging or as I charge allowing for another hands on QC check .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
farmerjim
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by farmerjim »

I have boxes full of primed brass ready for loading on a moments notice. I tumble my brass in ground walnut shells with pieces of paper towels wet with Nu Finish. The brass is still shiny years later.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by mikld »

I batch load. I first inspect my brass, then clean. Many time I'll separate media and store clean brass. Often I'll size,deprime, flare the brass, then store it. But most often I'll prime the sized/flared brass and store them. I have a bunch of primed and ready brass and only have to decide on a load, charge, seat bullet and crimp. Yesterday I sized/deprimed 250 9mm cases. Tomorrow I'll flare and prime. Seems to be easier and faster for me...
larryw

Post by larryw »

farmerjim wrote:I have boxes full of primed brass ready for loading on a moments notice. I tumble my brass in ground walnut shells with pieces of paper towels wet with Nu Finish. The brass is still shiny years later.
+1
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Fyodor
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Fyodor »

I toss mine in a box, until I find time to deprime. Then they'll go into another box, where they wait until I find time to wet tumble them. After that, they'll go to the "ready for loading" box, receive a slight spray coat of thinned LEE liquid alox, and wait to be loaded.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall, often misattributed to Voltaire

I think I'm thinking, therefore I may possibly be.
Green Frog
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Green Frog »

As a rule I don’t keep large numbers of cases pre-primed… normally no more than a hundred or two, and usually not that many. I prefer to do the de-priming and cleaning, then store the cases that way until I’m ready to pull out a specified number of the particular caliber I’m planning to reload. Lately the next step is to use my old style Lee Hand Priming Tool with screw-in shell holders and inspect my cases as I prime them and sort them int a loading block (or two or three, as needed.

Froggie
BRASS410

Post by BRASS410 »

I take my brass from just fired to ready to load, I dont prime because I may not need anymore of that particular calibre, hence I dont have any lost/wasted primers sitting in brass that wont be used for a long time, there's a lot of different calibre to try out and trade around you know. Just me but ya never know when your gonna get your ticket punched for the sky range and the lucky guy who gets all your stuff wont know what you primed or loaded the components with either.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Just before the sickness I bought a couple hundred pieces of 45 AUTO brass for $30 shipped from someone "getting out of reloading" so y'all keep on pre-priming for me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
cj8281
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by cj8281 »

I usually don't preprime as I am not sure what powder that I will be loading. For example if I am working with the 30-30, if I am going to load 3031 and a cast bullet then I will need a regular primer but if I am going to run a jacketed bullet with 748 then I will need a magnum primer. When I am prepping the brass, I usually don't know what the end load will be unless I am going to be loading a batch right away.
What I am working on right now is about 900 rounds of 30'06. About 450 of them are once fired military. All ready decapped and swaged the primer pockets. Next will be a resizing run and clean up. Then will be decision time, what powder, which bullet, at that point I will know what primer to use.
Years ago when I was just running a single stage, with pistol brass, I would decap, clean, resize, flare and then store. With my turret press I just decap and clean then store. Except for my 38 spl, wad cutter loads. Those I will run preprepped with primer as they are a specific load, Federal brass, CCI 500, 3.3 gr titegroup with the wad cutter seated flush and crimped over the shoulder. All but my lever gun love that load. The lever gun likes it as long as you are running it as a single shot. (Its a Marlin that is so far unmodified)
Another reason to not preprime, is if you decide to sell to someone else. You aren't giving away your primers.

Return to “Topic Bucket”