Case Trimming Question

Case Length Gauge/Holder, Deluxe Quick Trim Case Trimmer, and Zip Trim. Includes Length Gauge ball & stud.
jlhog
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Case Trimming Question

Post by jlhog »

I know trimming 45 ACP (straight wall pistol cases is not really needed), but I tend to overwork everything I do and that brings my first question. I purchased the Lee case trimming tool for 45 ACP and was able to trim to length a few cases I had. It started getting hard to insert into some cases and it came to the point where I needed a hammer and punch to remove the case guide pin. I wrecked the guide pin using the punch and hammer and ordered another. All the cases were already ran thru the carbide resizing die prior to trimming. So what did I do wrong? I am new to reloading and not exactly sure what the process is. Help teach an old dog some new tricks LOL
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Re: Case Trimming Question

Post by mr surveyor »

Just my opinion (as well as at least 90% of other reloaders I've heard from), there's little to no need to trim any straight wall pistol cases. For what I use - 9mm, .45 auto, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag) - I just use them till the case mouth splits. Never, ever, had a need to trim one.

The only bottle neck brass I use, .30-30 win, I have trimmed.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I'm a guy that trims everything. I actually do my handgun cases; 25 Auto, 32 Auto, 380 Auto, 38 Spl, 9mm Luger, 9mm Makarov, and 45 Auto, before sizing. For a reasons, It is not uncommon for me to find cases that are a bit out of diameter because I step on them at the range or from the tumbling action, or maybe from an ejection issue. Second, I find the mandrel of the Lee length gauge to be more forgiving than the die in reforming the case. If the mandrel is tight on a sized case, chuck the shank in a drill and spin it against some very fine sandpaper until it fits. All my cases, handgun or long gun, have a Lee Lube lightly sprayed (mixed with a 70% rubbing alcohol solution) inside the case mouth.

I'm trimming/correcting the case mouth on handgun cases beforehand because these cases are going into a collator to feed my Load-masters where the actual sizing occurs.
Michael
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

I will try this suggestion, "If the mandrel is tight on a sized case, chuck the shank in a drill and spin it against some very fine sandpaper until it fits". Thanks Ranch Dog. Probably my main reason for trimming the cases is to use up free time so I am not getting board.
jlhog

Post by jlhog »

Well that suggestion did work. Took a bit more sanding than I anticipated. I did notice differences between case manufactures that led to sanding the mandrel more. Got one more bag to trim tomorrow. My fingers are sore for today.
orerancher
Supporter
Supporter

Post by orerancher »

I trim all My Brass, so It is all the Same, That way It all Crimps the Same on the Bullet...
My Straight wall .454 Casull brass does Grow when fired....

Return to “Case Trimming”