What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Kaiser
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: What Rifle Reloading Did You Do Today?

Post by Kaiser »

I loaded 18 rounds of .308Win with 150SBT Sierra's over appropriate charges of RL15 and IMR4064 to test on the range tomorrow. . I'm still searching for that "ultimate" load for my Savage 110/Revelation.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Loaded up a box of Halloween rounds for the range annual Halloween shoot. These are meant to be a bit of fun with the orange and black bullets. I will use several boxes of regular lubed .308 cast as well as a box of 9mm cast. I will be using a Savage 99F with a Vortex scope for the rifle shoot. The 99 while not the most accurate rifle in my cabinet has great balance for freehand shooting.

- Lee 309-113-F water quenched added tin WW, double powder coated and sized to .309.
- 25.0 grains of Alliant RL 7 for around 2,000 FPS. (Approx. 52% fill)
- CCI LRP
- OAL 2.30 (To get the seating die down to this OAL I had to put the seating stem in upside down.) (places bullet .015 off of lands)
- Crimped just enough to remove flare.
Halloween Rounds.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

I decided last year to move my Marlin 1894CL cartridges; 218 Bee, 25-20 Win, and 32-20 Win, from the Turret to the Load-Master as I tend to run large batches at once. I wanted to switch the 218 from my cast bullet to the Speer #1047, so I set it up early this week. Didn't take but about 30 minutes to do that, including the fine-tuning.

The bullet looks goofy in the TMT cartridge drawing as I haven't taken the time yet to draw the ogive & nose. I needed the bullet length and out of the case length.

I'm loading these to 1500 FPM for knocking raccoons out of my pecan trees. 3-grains of Clays does that, and I use 3.5-grains of BPI's Original Buffer to hold the powder in the bottom of the case. I set the rifle charging die up with Auto Drum, and there is absolutely no problem delivering that charge. I do have to pull the case from the shell plate to add the Buffer. I'm changing that by removing the Auto Drum and replacing it with the Lee funnel adapter and funnel on the die. I will use the Deluxe Powder Powder Measure to deliver the charge, dropping the power from the pan down through the funnel. Then I will drop two scoops of Buffer with a .3 dipper. That will eliminate the need to slide the case out of the shell plate.

Two notes, I dropped the use of my 50-grain lead design as the bullet is too short for the standard Lee seating die. I don't care for casting the little things either. I have had the same two issues with my 25 Auto and switched to jacketed.

When I set up the Auto Drum, the spring action was too much for my 218 Bee and 25-20 Win case mouths. The action would roll the mouths of the case inward slightly. The 32-20 Win was fine. I had the older Rifle Charging Die used with the Perfect Powder Measure on the Load-Master, so I robbed the brass bushings out of it and used them in the current charging die. It eliminated the problem. I found a new kit on eBay and bought it for the 25-20 Win. I have a post about this on the forum (somewhere).
Michael
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Broke my ram prime priming some 06' lost the spring under the cup overkilled the clamp force on the ram side .
Loaded some work ups for new brass and the paper patch 301-618 NOE version of the Lyman NRA bullets . I don't expect much of them but it was fun to use up the last can of H4831 WWII repacked surplus powder . I'd forgotten how much flair it takes to get the patches in the case in one piece . I must have rolled about 40 to get 20 loaded .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

50 rounds of 450 Bushmaster 250 grain FTX and LilGun.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Been loading some for Dads 25-06' . He never shot any cast . It's not going badly , it's just that I get 3 groups for 5 shots .

.260-120 NOE and 258312 Lyman .
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

RBHarter wrote:Been loading some for Dads 25-06' . He never shot any cast . It's not going badly , it's just that I get 3 groups for 5 shots .

.260-120 NOE and 258312 Lyman .

That may be the way you look at it .... but, I've learned to see five really great one shot groups :lol:

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Well call it what you like but ........
The x cluster Is 10.5 gr Unique with the NOE 260-120 5ea PB and checked .
The last unmarked is 12.0 .
I'm thinking maybe brass variations ........ I have a bag of new Winchester brass and a box of 20 RP in the old Red box . I've been using reformed 270 .
IMG_20201120_152453671~5.jpg
IMG_20201120_152453671~6.jpg
There's one of 6 , one of 4 and one of 10 . While cropping down from the NRA pistol 25 yd slow fire I lost the outlayer on the 10 shot . There's 2 sometimes 3 in a 1.5 dia hole .

I know a lot of folks that would be pretty happy with 1" groups .........but this is from a walnut stocked , 25-06' chambered , 1972 700 BDL Varmint special .890 muzzle dia rifle at 50 yd and heartbeats only account for 3/8" . My breathing is good , my follow through is good , I'm seeing bullet impact behind the target in the scope . I suppose it could be lube purge ...... That's not something I've had a problem with in the past with others ........

For grins I loaded 55 gr of H4831 WWII surplus under the Herters 25-80 , if something was going to lead that should have . It just spun apart and broke up . (Sarcasm) I don't get it . It couldn't have been going over 34-3500 fps and turning over 240-250,000 rpm . Why would a cast bullet break up ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

I've seen em' turn to dust out of a 220 Swift at around 4000fps. Brother's gun. I stood away"s a bit when he fired those.
reloader762
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by reloader762 »

Sit up a turret head and powder drop for loading some 7.62 × 39 cast loads using the Lee TL-160 gr. GC RN powder coated bullet after work. I won't be pushing these to hard as they are just my general purpose plinking load I have been shooting for years in my SKS rifles using 14.5 grs. of Alliant 2400 powder but they still smack a steel plate pretty hard and give excellent accuracy.

I ran about twenty test loads through the Lee turret press and everything went smoothly so I'll crank out a nice batch today.
The Reloaders Network discord Channel
https://discord.gg/Nafuzht

Return to “Rifle Reloading”