More autodrum complaints

Auto Disk, Pro Auto Disk, and Auto Drum Powder Measures along with their associated charge bar, disks, and drums.
jertex
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

More autodrum complaints

Post by jertex »

I think I'm probably just jumping on the bandwagon here, but I've given up using the autodrum powder measure. It seems to work OK when loading 44 magnum with H110 or when loading for my 444 Marlin, but when I try to use it for small pistol cartridges, the inconsistency is killing me. I've tried universal, HP38, Titegroup, and it's all over the place. It starts out OK on the first 10 or 15 throws and then if I don't check every few throws I end up with an inconsistent mess. Plus, with HP38 & Titegroup, it leaks powder all over the place. I know that there may be other powder choices, but this is what I was able to get my hands on before the powder disappeared everywhere.

The good news is that a guy was selling a Redding #3 powder measure a few weeks ago for a very good price, so I picked it up just in case I wanted a manual measure. Now, it's the only thing I use and I get throws within .1 grains consistently. It adds an extra step and slows my pistol reloading down a bit, but it's worth it. I have it mounted on a Lee powder measure stand which I like very much. I'm putting the autodrum out to pasture for the time being. It's too irritating and I don't need the irritation. I'll get it out when I start loading for my Marlins again or maybe when I load 44 magnum.
James Hensler
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: More autodrum complaints

Post by James Hensler »

Hey I tried something yesterday that I might be laughed at but it solved my issue 100% and my auto drum is spot on every throw. I mean it throws 3.8 grains of N310 as many times as you want to check.

My issue was not really in accurate throws but the drum never seemed to go all the way back up and never all the way down. The drum had a lot of play in it. I mean double of my other ones. I moved the drum back and forth and the play was in the plastic charging arm. I grabbed some gorilla glue and glued the arm in place and just like that 90% of the slack was gone!
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

James Hensler wrote:Hey I tried something yesterday that I might be laughed at but it solved my issue 100% and my auto drum is spot on every throw. I mean it throws 3.8 grains of N310 as many times as you want to check.

My issue was not really in accurate throws but the drum never seemed to go all the way back up and never all the way down. The drum had a lot of play in it. I mean double of my other ones. I moved the drum back and forth and the play was in the plastic charging arm. I grabbed some gorilla glue and glued the arm in place and just like that 90% of the slack was gone!

Obviously great minds work alike. I did the same thing. At least the "holes" match up much better after.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Older thread I know, but I see the same thing with my Auto Drum as well, that is, the drum will often not go all the way up nor all the way down. There seems to be too much play in the gears where they mesh at the ends.

So where did you guys glue the plastic arm? And how has it held up from when you posted (August 2020) to now (October 2020)?
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Loki wrote:Older thread I know, but I see the same thing with my Auto Drum as well, that is, the drum will often not go all the way up nor all the way down. There seems to be too much play in the gears where they mesh at the ends.

So where did you guys glue the plastic arm? And how has it held up from when you posted (August 2020) to now (October 2020)?

Pushed the plastic arm as far forward as possible, glued it there with Gorilla Glue, doesn't take much as that stuff expands as it dries. Gorilla Glue does not let go like that "mystery" stuff that glues your fingers together. It has made some improvement to my AD. I was/am willing to try any thing that would help mine as it didn't work well (IMO) as it was, I also lapped the insides with 320 grit lapping compound. It does work better now than it did before. YMMV...
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

I drilled through the parts and inserted a pin.
Loki

Post by Loki »

The Gorilla Glue does sound like it would work better because it would expand and encapsulate the bottom of the lever.
So by pushing the lever "forward" I assume you mean at the bottom end, but by forward do you mean in toward the powder measure or outward away from it?

I also like the pin idea because it would keep it in place but still let it pivot just a little.
rp2pilot
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by rp2pilot »

i finally gave up on the autodrum and put a Hornady case activated Powder Thrower on my Loadmaster. Similar in concept to the autodrum, but made out of metal and very consistent. No leaks with W231.

Return to “Automatic Powder Measures”