reloading .30 Rem and .32 Rem - Lee die set questions

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

reloading .30 Rem and .32 Rem - Lee die set questions

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey friends. Long time gone from the hobby websites, unfortunately. Hopefully this post gets my mojo back on track!

Questions I have are about reloading .30 Rem and .32 Rem cartridges. I've got Model 8, 81, and 14 pump rifles that are chambered in these rimless versions of .30-30 WCF and .32 Win Special.

I want to know if I can just use the Lee Pacesetter 3-die set for .30-30, and use the correct shell holder for the .30 Rem (#21) and go about my merry way.

Same goes for the .32 Rem reloading (which uses the same Lee shell holder #21) would it be as simple as using that unique shell holder in conjunction with the Lee .32 Win Special die set, if I were to ever locate such a beast?
30_30 Ultimate Die Set - Lee Precision.pdf
At present moment, it's just me banging together one round at a time in the old Lee Loader Kits I gathered.

PS I am teaching kindergarten in the age of COVID, which has been virtual since last March in my school district in Virginia. It is very, very difficult to do - with 5-year-olds!

Thanks for any ideas.
Adam in Virginia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: reloading .30 Rem and .32 Rem - Lee die set questions

Post by Ranch Dog »

Good to hear from you, Adam. I can't imagine a 5YO learning virtual. My grandkids wander off while talking on Skype.

Yep, the two cartridges use the 3X Win dies. They also use the same case length gauge, Factory Crimp Die, and load data. I see there is a new die set Titan has the 32 Win Spl dies in stock.

Have you been able to find brass for the rimless?
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

Ranch Dog wrote:Good to hear from you, Adam. I can't imagine a 5YO learning virtual. My grandkids wander off while talking on Skype.

Yes, it has been an all-time-consuming headache. That's probably what has kept me from any "fun time" the most - planning for virtual, with all the anticipated/unanticipated fallout. Such as parents (who would never normally be alongside their kids in the classroom) helping their 5-year-olds take online benchmark tests. Tests that are meant to gage the entry level of the kid. So, yeah - parents cheating their kids on their learning because I can't prevent the moms and dads from taking the test for their child! That's one of a zillion wrinkles on the negative side of the virtual learning.

On the other hand, we have never been able to teach kids so early in the school term in small or 1-1 groups for reading or math. Just doesn't become possible under normal circumstances until the late winter, really. So what we are noticing is that we are able to better personalize teaching and learning much earlier than normal.

Again, this is all just a giant "placeholder" event that is burning out staff trying to keep up and it makes my job truly a 7-days-a-week gig, just in order to get each daily "slideshow" or "The Mr. Freeman Show" up and reading every day. I'm lucky I teach kindergarten, as I have an aide who partners up with me to assist in the daily show. Basically, while I'm scrolling through slides and toggling back and forth to cameras my aide can manage the chat box and kids who are "raising hands" for questions and participation. Whew.

Yep, the two cartridges use the 3X Win dies. They also use the same case length gauge, Factory Crimp Die, and load data. I see there is a new die set Titan has the 32 Win Spl dies in stock.

Thanks for the tips - will keep an eye on things. I'm looking for dies to add, now that I have a hand breech press, such as .30-30/.30 Rem and .32 Win SPL/.32 Rem as well as .300 Savage, and .223 Rem.

Have you been able to find brass for the rimless?
Yes, I have a supply of NOS and once-fired from ammo I purchased in the past. Until I buy a 50 or 100 pack amount from Grafs or Buffalo Arms, when I see they are available, I have enough to load for now. I just need to practice my homeboy version of annealing case necks perhaps, on the old pre-war brass that is in good shape and not cracked or bulged. Will work with my newer post-war brass first - from the 50's-80's I have gathered.

Thanks for the feedback, RD! Appreciated!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Ok the books say ......
Here's the Rem and Wins side by side . You'll notice the case taper is a lot different . The Rem cartridges are practically an AI with a Weatherby shoulder . Mark the shoulder and set your sizer up where it scuffs if you use a FL sizer . I use a 308 die for 30-30 and would for 30 Rem as a neck sizer . I would suggest a neck sizer die for 30-30 and 32 WS .
CH4D lists dies for both , I have a set and they are reeaallllyy nice .
The Huntington's list them and likely have them available but they are at special order prices which makes the RCBS machine shop and warehouse the same price as CH .
The picture is Fired 32, 30 Rem , 32 WS , factory 32 Rem and a 6.8 SPC .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter

Hey I've seen that .32 Rem case somewhere before.....ack! Was that one of the rounds I traded you years ago? Woah.

Anyway - yeah, I have read about the difference in case taper b/w Win 32 and Rem 32. And it's probably from posts from you, Rich, on either forums....so I so appreciate your chiming in!

Now question is: will this make a real difference, forming .32 Rem cases in .32 Win dies - and what bad things might happen upon firing? Would the worst thing be that the case necks deform, or would they crack?

I'm open to all observations. And if those CH4D dies are the ones that maintain an original .32 Rem case taper, I probably need to do some more reading!

Thanks for checking in.

Adam
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by RBHarter »

Yes that is one of them .

The Winchester dies will over work the brass , especially the shoulder . I don't shoot the M14 in 32 as much as I thought I might . With the brass availability and cost getting 15 cycles instead of 10 might be a big deal .

The case taper I don't think is a big concern you don't generally see body splits or head separations in 35-42kpsi cartridges . I'd have to put micrometers on them to see how far the shoulder actually moves . I look at this kind of like running 280 Rem through 270 Winchester dies it only moves the neck an extra .007 or about the depth of the rifling . Done a dozen times though .........

That 32 Win/Rem whack a mole should be viable for this until you actually have to rearrange the shoulder .

For CH dies it's like $15 more for custom fit dies . They need 3 fired cases and they fit the sizer die for a case size -.004 basically so that it forms back to -.002 of the fired case and ask for a neck dia rather than a neck ID measurement of .319 for a .321 bullet you might be shooting a .323 cast and desire a .321 neck ID .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Interesting .32 Win Special brass for sale here ----> CLICK TO SEE BRASS FOR SALE AT AR15.com
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Rifle”