223/556

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your long gun.
Shooter74
My Press Choice: Turret

223/556

Post by Shooter74 »

Help! Getting AR, looking for reloading help, many questions, I see loads of 556 brass at the range, is the load data the same for 556 as it is with 223, what dies are y’all using for on press charging (LCT), what are good powder and bullets to start with.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: 223/556

Post by horseman »

Shooter74 wrote:Help! Getting AR, looking for reloading help, many questions, I see loads of 556 brass at the range, is the load data the same for 556 as it is with 223, what dies are y’all using for on press charging (LCT), what are good powder and bullets to start with.

I load them the same, usually a grain or two below a max charge (worked up). I use RCBS dies but that's just my preference, any will work. If on the LCT and probably the Auto Drum measure (?) you'll need a Lee small rifle charging die (I think the small one). A lot of different powders to work with, but I prefer H335 using 55gr bullets. I also use CFE223 and I have a couple pounds of BLC2 that works quite well also. I shoot a lot of 55gr FMJ bullets for "general" use, Hornady 55gr V-max for varmints. All kinds.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Like every common military calibre, the 5.56 brass quality and thickness can vary. NATO brass is made to a standard but non-Nato countries may or may not adhere to the specification. Lake City ((LC) on the headstamp ) is good brass. I have found that I need to adjust down .05 to 1.0 grains from regular commercial brass loads to retain the velocity my rifle likes. Check case length of milsurp brass. Besides the powders Horseman noted, I like Varget and IMR 8208 XBR. The twist rate of the rifle will determine the best range of bullet weights (really it is lengths that count but weights are commonly used.). Mine is 1-9 and prefers 55-70 grain bullets but the odd 50 or 75 grain one will shoot well.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

5.56/223 is one of a few cartridges that I don't pick-up at the range unless I happen to see someone shooting name brand ammo and letting lay. Just me. I have dies from Lee, Hornady and RCBS. The RCBS set has a small base sizing die and a tapper crimp die and gets used most. I'm sacrificing a little case life for an assured fit in my tight chamber. My rifle has a 1 in 7 twist and the 5.56 chamber and handles most bullet weights including the Barnes Varmint grenades. Mine doesn't seem too sensitive to powder choice, I've used a little bit of everything, Varget, 4196, 4895, H335 (I think this is the canister version of the powder used in military loads). With the current situation regarding components you may have to pick a powder and go from there.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Shooter74

Post by Shooter74 »

Which powder meters best through auto drum?
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Shooter74 wrote:Which powder meters best through auto drum?
I've had good luck with H4198, H4895 and Varget and I would imagine that H335 would work fine also.

Stya well, be safe, make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

I don't load .223REM at all. I use only LC5.56 brass for consistency. For powders I like CFE223, Varget, H335.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Shooter74

Post by Shooter74 »

Do you use a case lube for 5.56? Also what is your setup for powder charging on press? Thanks in advance for you input.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, definitely on the case lube, keep it off the shoulder. I don't charge on press currently I'm not loading in volume at the moment and when I do it's on a Dillon 650XL.

Consider getting a case gauge, Lyman makes good ones, nothing says aggravating like a case that doesn't quite chamber and locks up the rifle. At least half the time retracting the bolt wont clear it and there's no cleaning rod in reach.

Stay well, be safe, make smoke,
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

100% lube 5.56X45 when resizing. It's the only cartridge I feel threatened about sticking (and have stuck a few times). I use the Lee AutoDrum on my Lee Classic Turret press. I only use LC5.56 brass.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.

Return to “Rifle Reloading”