Bullet Seating Die Adjustment When Using FCD?

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Bullet Seating Die Adjustment When Using FCD?

Post by GasGuzzler »

I just do it over and over until it looks right. Wastes time and components. Oh well.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Bullet Seating Die Adjustment When Using FCD?

Post by horseman »

[quote="RBHarter"]To take the KISS method to an alternative direction .
Grab a factory round .

I have measured three different brands of 230gr ball ammo. All measured .469 at the case mouth. I measure using a set of calipers (I have three different brands) with the bottom half of the "jaws". I cannot get that much crimp on my reloads, nor do I want to. My goal is .004 at the case mouth under finished round size. My experience,which is limited for the 45acp, say's it does make a difference with my loads as far as ES and SD over my chronograph. Perhaps with the old standby of 4.5gr of Bullseye under a 200gr lead bullet maybe not so much, no idea, I don't shoot those. I'm not saying this it the "best" way, or the "right" way, it's information I found searching this very question of "proper crimp" and it works for me. Just passing along maybe some useful information to someone who's looking. As in all things re-loading, YMMV. +zzz

Return to “Handgun”