Concerned and a question

Discussions covering the components and techniques of reloading for your handgun.
Shooterrick2020
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Progressive

Concerned and a question

Post by Shooterrick2020 »

I loaded 25 rounds 45 ACP Sierra 230 grain FMJ with a range between 4.6 + 5.0 a Winchester 231 powder and the primers were Federal large pistol. I base this load on Lee's reloading manual and I'm looking at the manual and it should be a mid-range load. . I've looked at both Hornady and Sierra bullets Reloading Data for this round and it appears they recommend a significantly higher load. Sierra even classifies that load as low pressure at the 4.6 level of Winchester 231.

Is the Lee Reloading manual very conservative or have I made a mistake? . Should these rounds be fired?
If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Concerned and a question

Post by GasGuzzler »

Those will be fine. They won't be hot and they won't be good for 150 yards ... but it's 45 AUTO, not 45-70.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

All the loads in Lee's manual are from other published data sources; those sources being bullet or powder manufacturers. I wish that the data in that manual referenced the bullet and/or source of the data. The bullet because not all bullets of the same weight have the same length. Given the cartridge OAL of the referenced data, bullets of a longer length than that used with the data would result in higher pressures for the specific load. Knowing the source of the data would allow you to investigate which bullet was used. I think every component business now has online data.

I use Lee's data frequently to compare QuickLoad's calculated results.
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Like RD says all the Lee loading charts are from powder manufacturers data. I always check their sites to find other data such as bullet and primer brand used. It also helps to know the firearm used for their testing. Not all give pressure information.
sparkyv
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by sparkyv »

It wouldn't hurt to try to confer with multiple load data sources as you did, OP. Usa all reputable data to make your decisions; this will minimize error.
μολὼν λαβέ
NRA Life Member

Return to “Handgun Reloading”