45-70 Factory Crimp Die

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ninety Caliber
My Press Choice: Turret

45-70 Factory Crimp Die

Post by Ninety Caliber »

I just started loading 45-70 for my Rio Grande. I have a FCD with my Lee Die set but cannot figure out how to make it work! It's not like the FCDin my .38/.357 set. It has No knob on top to adjust it. I followed the directions but couldn't get ANY crimp at all . Finally gave up and used the bullet seating die to crimp.
What am I doing wrong?
Maximumbob54
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: 45-70 Factory Crimp Die

Post by Maximumbob54 »

Go slow and easy at it. The idea is to screw the die body down until you start to make contact with the case mouth when you lower the handle. Eventually you will feel the collet's finger start to make contact with thecase mouth and that is when you start to go slow with the adjustments.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

You might read this topic on the difference in the dies you mention and how they work:
Rossi-Rifleman: Factory Crimp Dies
Michael
rexherring

Post by rexherring »

If you have Hornady brass, it's short and probably won't work. Mine doesn't but other brands work fine. I even had to grind off 1/8th inch off the bottom of my Lee bullet seater/crimp die to get a roll crimp on Hornady brass.
Ninety Caliber

Post by Ninety Caliber »

rexherring wrote:If you have Hornady brass, it's short and probably won't work. Mine doesn't but other brands work fine. I even had to grind off 1/8th inch off the bottom of my Lee bullet seater/crimp die to get a roll crimp on Hornady brass.
Nope, new RP brass !

Return to “Rifle”