Loading 44 Russian

Carbide and Steel die sets plus the Carbide, Bottle Neck Pistol Cartridge, and Factory Crimp Dies. Also the Bulge Buster Kit.
Royce
My Press Choice: Turret

Loading 44 Russian

Post by Royce »

I got a bag of new 44 Russian cases from Starline. I looked at Lee's website and found that Lee offers a specific set of 44 Russian carbide dies. I thought to myself "Hmm why would the 44 Special dies not work?"

Bottom line the 44 Special dies worked perfectly as did the 44 Special FCD.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Loading 44 Russian

Post by Jeff H »

Royce,
When I got my first set of LEE dies in '82, it was for loading the 44 Special. The dies set I got was for 44 Mag., but the guy at the gun shop assured me they'd work. They didn't.

At that time, LEE made separate dies for 44 Special and 44 Mag, the only difference being that the seater die was too long and the crimp shoulder would not reach the 44 Special case mouth because the bottom of the die bottomed out on the shell holder.

I took the set back and the guy at the shop took my 44 Mag. die home and turned it down on his lathe. All set. I don't know when after that LEE decided it was dumb to have two dies for one case when one would work, but they've accommodate both ever since.

I wonder if they didn't decide the same for the Russian eventually? Pretty cool they worked out.

Incidentally, before I cold get back to the shop, I just HAD to load some ammo and shoot my 44. I tried to shoot 240 grain commercially cast SWCs without the crimp out of a 3" Charter Bulldog and I took a fair ribbing at the range. Every one of those 240s entered the 15 yard target fully sideways and all over the torso-sized target - basketball-sized group!

Couple old duffs (probably about the age I am now) told me I needed to teach them how to do that because it would make a heck of a personal defense round making holes that big. Good natured ribbing, of course, and they were complimentary of my much better targets the following Sunday.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter

Post by GasGuzzler »

Jeff H wrote: Every one of those 240s entered the 15 yard target fully sideways and all over the torso-sized target - basketball-sized group!

Couple old duffs (probably about the age I am now) told me I needed to teach them how to do that because it would make a heck of a personal defense round making holes that big.
Sounds like when I started loading ... I fitted a 9mm cylinder to my Blackhawk and tried some lead .357 bullets in 9mm cases and not nearly enough powder (I was scared). I'm guessing they were about 500 ft/sec tumbling.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Royce

Post by Royce »

These dies are for 44 Mag / Special. I have owned them since the late 1980's. Back then I owned a Model 29 Smith. Also had a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 MAG. I decided pretty quick that the 44 Magnum was not ideal for punching holes in paper.

Today I am loading several different recipes for a Cimmaron Arms .44 Special replica of a Colt 1872 Open Top. Most of these originally were chambered for .44 Rimfire or .44 Colt.
Jeff H wrote:Royce,
When I got my first set of LEE dies in '82, it was for loading the 44 Special. The dies set I got was for 44 Mag., but the guy at the gun shop assured me they'd work. They didn't.

At that time, LEE made separate dies for 44 Special and 44 Mag, the only difference being that the seater die was too long and the crimp shoulder would not reach the 44 Special case mouth because the bottom of the die bottomed out on the shell holder.

I took the set back and the guy at the shop took my 44 Mag. die home and turned it down on his lathe. All set. I don't know when after that LEE decided it was dumb to have two dies for one case when one would work, but they've accommodate both ever since.

I wonder if they didn't decide the same for the Russian eventually? Pretty cool they worked out.

Incidentally, before I cold get back to the shop, I just HAD to load some ammo and shoot my 44. I tried to shoot 240 grain commercially cast SWCs without the crimp out of a 3" Charter Bulldog and I took a fair ribbing at the range. Every one of those 240s entered the 15 yard target fully sideways and all over the torso-sized target - basketball-sized group!

Couple old duffs (probably about the age I am now) told me I needed to teach them how to do that because it would make a heck of a personal defense round making holes that big. Good natured ribbing, of course, and they were complimentary of my much better targets the following Sunday.
2 X Lee Classic Turret Presses, 3 X Lee 1000 Presses, 1 X Lee Reloader Press, 1X Lee Six Pack Pro, 1X Ultimate Turret
horseman
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by horseman »

A few years back I bought one of the 1872 open tops in 44 colt. Talked to a tech at Cimmeron and he told me to send it back and they would ream the cyls out to 44 special if I wanted. Sent it back, worked fine for 44 special.
Royce

Post by Royce »

I remember seeing those for sale and wondering if anyone would buy them chambered for a round that could only be obtained by handloading? Notice today Cimarron offers them in 44 Special to begin with, like mine. It's a dandy piece, I like everything but the rear sight.
horseman wrote:A few years back I bought one of the 1872 open tops in 44 colt. Talked to a tech at Cimmeron and he told me to send it back and they would ream the cyls out to 44 special if I wanted. Sent it back, worked fine for 44 special.

Return to “Handgun”