SMLE Scout, 303 British, & 180-Grain PPU vs. Hog

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: SMLE Scout, 303 British, & 180-Grain PPU vs. Hog

Post by Ranch Dog »

AlaskanGuy wrote:nice shootin there Tex....
Thanks! It is all the rifle.
AlaskanGuy wrote:i do notice with my lee turret classic, there is a bit of slop... it is related to the turrets themselves. they seem to move a bit. i always figured it was the price you pay when you want quick change ability.
Concerning the Collet dies, I would say the same thing, but the Lee instructions do remove that play in the head. Still, something is different about using the Collet on a turret. I measured and studied the cases and cannot find a definite answer as to why the cases, both 300 Savage and 303 British, will not chamber. I feel a bump occurs, creating a non-concentric body immediately aft of the shoulder, as the tension that seats the ram/shell holder seats solidly against the turret. Picture it this way. The ram is square and pushes up against the turret removing any play (per the Lee instructions), that would mean that the backside of the turret, 180° opposite the die, is not as you only have the single point of contact at the shell holder/ram.

Using the same cases, even the problem cases, on the Challenger press is the proof to me that it is turret press, as the cases slide right in the chamber.

I don't think that my turret is worn, press or head, I believe it to be a combination occurring with the Collet thrown in the mix. Rember that there is no support of the case within the die body, the body is only a hollow tube. In that light, any play in the shellholder to rim fit might come into play as well. Maybe the bottom of the case tries to slide out the slot as the mandrel enters the case mouth as it is a floating mandrel.

There has been quite a bit written about the actions taking place within the die if you study this subject in depth. Me, I just switched to the Challenger press and ended the issue.
AlaskanGuy wrote:is that a synthetic stock on that rifle? or just lighting?
Yep, ATI.

https://www.atioutdoors.com/product-cat ... 1-enfield/
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The SMLE Scout kilt another last night.

Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

And another last night!
Michael
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Mmmmm bacon lol.

I took time today to closely inspect a collet die and the turret press. The die has considerable lateral slack in its internal components including the mandrill which can move independent to the movement of the collet and collet sleeve. The die body is locked vertically to the plane of the turret. My press causes the turret to cant about .004 up on the left side in relation to the top of the press when the ram is brought up and the shell holder mates with the collet sleeve. Before this happens the mandrill has entered the neck of the cartridge case. My shell holders are much looser in the turret press then in my single one. I am not surprised that cases sized on a turret press using a collet die may be deformed by all that potential for misalignment.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Macd wrote:Mmmmm bacon lol.

I took time today to closely inspect a collet die and the turret press. The die has considerable lateral slack in its internal components including the mandrill which can move independent to the movement of the collet and collet sleeve. The die body is locked vertically to the plane of the turret. My press causes the turret to cant about .004 up on the left side in relation to the top of the press when the ram is brought up and the shell holder mates with the collet sleeve. Before this happens the mandrill has entered the neck of the cartridge case. My shell holders are much looser in the turret press then in my single one. I am not surprised that cases sized on a turret press using a collet die may be deformed by all that potential for misalignment.
That's what I'm seeing. No problem with using the Collet die with the Challenger press. I have one round of ammunition left for the Scout left. Weather is going to be bad tomorrow so I will reload. My wife said, "what about all those other guns you own?"
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

Hey RD, I haven't messed with my Enfield for a while, but it's great to see that you stuck with yours and it worked out so well. :t :t

I guess I'm going to have to put together a scout rifle and see what all the fuss is about. ;)
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I've been wondering where you have been and what you are up to?
Michael
klr
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by klr »

A bunch of family issues have really cut into my gun time. I was only able to get out a few times for crop-damage deer last summer. I used two different rifles in 6.5 Grendel. I also built a .357 Max out of a cheap 12 ga. and a Timberwolf barrel blank.

I'll start a thread if you want to see any of that stuff.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

klr wrote:A bunch of family issues have really cut into my gun time. I was only able to get out a few times for crop-damage deer last summer. I used two different rifles in 6.5 Grendel. I also built a .357 Max out of a cheap 12 ga. and a Timberwolf barrel blank.

I'll start a thread if you want to see any of that stuff.
I would like to read about both!
Michael

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”