Replacing the Breech Lock Pro Plastic Feed Ramp

The Pro 1000, 4000, and the Six-Pack Pro presses. We also include the "Legacy" progressive presses; the Load-Master, Auto Breech Lock Pro
James Hensler
My Press Choice: Progressive

Replacing the Breech Lock Pro Plastic Feed Ramp

Post by James Hensler »

Ok so I called lee and have 2 new plastic feed ramps coming for my new press. When they get here I am going to modify the old one with some aluminum bar stock in the feed ramp area and blending it in to meet the shell plate. I hope this ends this issue once and for all. I think it can be done rather easy
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Replacing the Breech Lock Pro Plastic Feed Ramp

Post by Ranch Dog »

What press are you working on?
Michael
James Hensler

Post by James Hensler »

Auto Breech Lock Pro
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

What exactly was the problem,. Photos will help.
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

I milked 3/16 off the ramp top. I had to use a trim tool for the plate end. The ramp must rise to a few thousands over the plate to ensure smooth feed. I slightly bent my steel plate to fit the rise at the plate side. Clean and epoxy. I also set my case feed near the end of its stroke, bringing it 1/4” off the press body. This eliminated all my case feed issues, and greatly increased speed.
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

Milled! Got to love spell check!
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

The problem I found was 9mm bounce on the plastic feed plate and rock forward under the press body. If the case you are sizing in the operation requires any force at all, you crush the next case that rocked forward a16th and damaged the plastic feed plate. Now you have a dimpled feed plate that causes every case to rock forward.
I discussed this with a lee technician, they are top notch in my opinion because they called me. I called Natchez who also will back their customers to ask if this was a common problem? At the time they had not sold many to accumulate the answer. I was unlucky, to have received a bullet feed poorly finished causing issues on both sides of the press. Which I built a sanding tool to length for that issue. No big deal just average troubleshooting for old guys! Lol
Now you couldn’t give me gray, orange, yellow,green or blue for my BLP. My Son ,Wife, Daughter and I can go to a meet shoot all we like and we only have to spend a hour or two loading 1k to replace. Great lee press .
Guinearun

Post by Guinearun »

Let the kids load spare feed tubes while you load!! Knew those kids were good for something!
G.A.Custer
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by G.A.Custer »

I have had to replace two of the plastic feed ramps on my ABL Pro when empty cartridges get mashed into the soft plastic and create divots. That causes the empty case to tilt out of Plumb and then not feed into the shell plate.
Crash40SW

Post by Crash40SW »

I've noticed mine getting marked up from my 40SW brass as well, but I think I might have a quick and easy modification to fix it.

I'm going to be picking up some brass shim stock from the hobby store and making a slide plate for the plastic. with a very slight curve in the middle, it should be able to lift the shell into the carrier, and the case feeder should slide right over the top of it.

Return to “Progressive”