Just sayin' "Hey" to Y'all

Tell us a bit about yourself!
WVFarmerBoy
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Just sayin' "Hey" to Y'all

Post by WVFarmerBoy »

Howdy All,

I initially joined this forum because of an older post that I read and the fact I spent 1/2 of the 80's and most of the 90's using good ole Lee Loaders for several calibers... rifle and pistol. I started knocking primers out for my Dad when I was prob 5 yrs old. Prob was doing my own loads by the time I was 9 or 10. Always wanted to get into casting, just never got around to it. If only the internet had been available to me back then :roll:

Stepped away from shooting/hunting for almost 20 yrs... college, marriage, kids, etc.

Now have a burning itch to get back into shooting/reloading... But this time I'm gonna take the casting serious.

I miss the relaxation of reloading and the satisfaction of figger'in out the right combo for super accurate loads. It's a shame that the savings over factory ammo isn't as good. But sometimes it's not always about the $$$.

Anyhow, hope to dig through the archives here and learn. Maybe I'll be able to help in kind.

Thanks to y'all
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: Just sayin' "Hey" to Y'all

Post by larryw »

Welcome from Arizona Farmboy. Great place, great people & absolutely stupid, unbelievable,
knowledge & experience.
What part of WVA? All my family is from Fairmont, Morgantown WVA & Garrett County MD area.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
WVFarmerBoy

Post by WVFarmerBoy »

larry,

I live south of Parkersburg, WV (Wood County).

I agree on the amount of information. Alot of reading to do on my part. That's one of the few true blessings of the internet.

And being as I always bragged on lowly Lee Loaders ( NEVER had a press ), Figger'd I'd fit right in here. ;)

Thanks
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum!
Michael
larryw

Post by larryw »

WVFarmerBoy wrote:larry,
I live south of Parkersburg, WV (Wood County).Thanks
Been to a State Hatchery around there couple time, can't remember name.
& a fishing adventure outside a little place called Murrysville or Murphyville
next to Ohio line, Love the area.
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

Welcome from the dry side (eastern) of Washington state. You've found a really good place to learn and share your knowledge.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

Welcome to the forum from western Ar .

Savings is all about what you shoot and how much of your basic kit you have already .
9mm and 223 take a long time to break even on at $1-2/box when based against a $2-300 start up . Looking at say a 45-70 and 45 Colts where cheap factory ammo is $75&135/100 and you can cast and load them both for around $10/100 saving and average of $95/100 it saves a lot and pays of gear in a hurry .

Unfortunately many of us don't save anything because we just shoot more than if we bought ammo . Then there's the gadgets and mould exploration , loading rooms , etc .
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
WVFarmerBoy

Post by WVFarmerBoy »

RBHarter,

When you have to buy 25acp... doesn't take long. Especially when casting. Factory ammo is a lil weak and there's room for potential there. Wish I could find a Lee Loader for .25 (fingers crossed)

I agree on .223 and 9mm. Factory .223 is horrible (accuracy wise). But the brass that comes in the box is worth almost the price of the loaded ammo IMO. Nothing more aggravating that shooting a +2moa group at 100 yrds... consistently :x

9mm is worth saving brass for. If I end up w/ a lil carbine down the road... then things will change.

.308 is pretty easy to justify, especially when casting. Can't speak for the factory stuff yet. I need to get ahold of some brass.

I bought a used Lyman 4 hole turret, a single stage C&H and a Lyman lubrisizer. Along with a good bit of lead. I'm going to keep my eyes open for more used equipment. Can't spring for new right away... Family First

Also, I have a daughter that is getting old enough to get involved. She shoots air rifle (4H) and rivals the older kids already. 5 shots less than 1" (sometimes under 1/2") groups @ ? 10 yds ? I hope she sticks with it. Heck of a shot. We don't shoot a bunch... yet. Wife and I both enjoyed it years ago, but priorities change when the ammo drought/depression hit. But with our youngest getting older, this can become a family oriented way to spend a few hours/week.

Yes, reloading is a rabbit hole that can kill a wallet quick. But if a person shops around and is patient, there are deals to be found.
Thanks for the welcome. From the Western (SOGGY) side of WV. :lol:
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Unfortunately, Lee never offered a Loader for the 25 Auto. Here is a complete list, cartridges with an asterisk were not offered.

The problem with the Loaders, if it were available, is that the out of production kits bring more than a set of dies. Some, more than dies and a used single-stage press.

I've been reloading that little bugger of a cartridge for a long time now.
Michael
WVFarmerBoy

Post by WVFarmerBoy »

Ranch Dog,

Thanks for the pic !! That is the best image of the "List" I've ever seen.

Pays to notice the * (asterisk) don't it ? :roll: :lol:

I bought my Lee Loaders for $14.99ea from a local gunsmith. He'd order when he had enuff people to combine to save on shipping.

I have ZERO experience with a Press/Dies. Been around them in the past, but never used. One component I wasn't fond of were powder drops (RCBS mostly). Seemed the older ones were horribly inaccurate/slow because of the redundancy of check, re-check and then spot checks, which made me love my Lee scoops even more. I like old fashioned simple/reliable stuff.

Maybe 20yrs later, technology has improved alot of the tools. I'm kinda starting all over again in alot of ways.

;)

Return to “Member Introductions”