Collet Neck Sizing Dies have left the bench.

50 BMG, Collet, and steel reloading dies plus the Factory Crimp Dies. Also, discussions concerning the Deluxe, Pacesetter, and RGB die sets.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Re: Collet Neck Sizing Dies have left the bench.

Post by Ranch Dog »

Moving to the Challenger did eliminate the feel issues experience with the turret press. Everything went fine for three cartridges, and then the die started collapsing the cases. It is adjusted precisely to the instructions. Between each of the cases pictured, I took the die apart and tried to figure out what the problem was. These dies are very simple, but I don't have a clue. I'm going to see if I can send it back to Lee.

My first Collet Die, for the 35 Rem, had this problem out of the box. Lee exchanged the die. Not sure how this will work with the custom die. The three dummy cartridges I made before this started, sliding through the action like butter. I was putting them together one at a time and thought I had this whooped.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

rd,

That's an interesting looking wildcat design .... but for some reason I just can't see it catching on

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Now that's funny. It is really strange, it just happens at the end of the stroke. No difference in feel between those that it happens to and those that does not.
Michael
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

I have no doubt you'll figure it out. I don't know if I will ever have the pleasure (or dis-pleasure) of experiencing that issue, but I sure am interested in the cause.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

Looks like the first time I ever set up a powder-through expanding die :) Looking forward to fining out what happened.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

What is strange is that there is little feel to the set back beginning to take place. The primer punch has just made contact with the spent primer, I hear it hear it drop and then jump a very light "bump" of the punch bumping the bottom — no difference between a good sizing stroke or the setback.

I checked the diameter of the mandrel, its right, the parts seem good. I'm getting ready to go through Lee's FAQs.

I've had the die longer than I thought, 4½ years.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

This is what I tried between cycles, I will be a bit more aggressive with it today.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Michael
Jeff H
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by Jeff H »

Is the interface between the cone-shaped top of the collet and the corresponding cone-shape recess smooth? I lap them, clean them and apply a light grease. Eight different cartridges since the inception of the dies and no problems with that trick. From the factory, they can be a bit gnarly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Jeff H wrote:Is the interface between the cone-shaped top of the collet and the corresponding cone-shape recess smooth? I lap them, clean them and apply a light grease. Eight different cartridges since the inception of the dies and no problems with that trick. From the factory, they can be a bit gnarly.
I've worked on this a bit this evening, they are as simple as can be but durn if I can figure out the issue. Immediately after the 1st, I will get with Lee.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I have a steel tapered round stock bar that I purchased years ago to spread the collets should they need it. I ran the collet over the collet, then exercised the collar against the collet using my gun vise. Not tight, more or less, feeling the fit. I put it back together and it seems to work. I did notice a crack in the collet when I was examining it closely, so I called Lee and will send it back in.

I'm using these dies with my 30-30 Win, 308 Win, 303 British, 7.62x39, and 35 Rem. So six dies counting the 300 Savage.
Michael

Return to “Rifle”