My new toy, Safety Powder Scale

This is the only scale that can never get out of adjustment. Sensitive and readable to 1/20 grain.
Vidor
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Re: My new toy, Safety Powder Scale

Post by Vidor »

Basically it is a stop that slows the arm of the scale when it comes down, so I understand that anything that slows the oscillation would work. It is right?
Please be patient with me, my English is very bad and sometimes I use a translator.
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

My understanding has always been that you don't want the pan to actually touch the object or hit it. The magnet was supposed to settle the pan because of magnetism. The metal Allen wrench may interfere with the magnetism somehow as well. I just use my scale as is. I don't add anything. I did paint a small white tip on the end of the black pointer where it lines up with the zero point with white nail polish. Just a small amount on the very tip of the black beam tip so it is easier for my eyes to see it line up when correct or zeroed. I suggest using it the way it is and see how you like it. I don't mind waiting 10 seconds for it to settle if it even takes that long. I am not in a hurry. I want accuracy and I get it.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

I think the same and had already thought about using nail polish to mark, I'm glad to know that I'm not crazy.

There will always be time to do tests or as I have seen that they do with other scales, stop it a little with your finger so that it does not oscillate so much
Please be patient with me, my English is very bad and sometimes I use a translator.
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by GasGuzzler »

I have a 505 and it doesn't do all that crazy stuff and doesn't require an Allen wrench.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

+1

Just need to keep it reasonable dust free and away from drafts.

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Post by Ranch Dog »

Vidor wrote:Basically it is a stop that slows the arm of the scale when it comes down, so I understand that anything that slows the oscillation would work. It is right?
JohnnyEnfield wrote:My understanding has always been that you don't want the pan to actually touch the object or hit it. The magnet was supposed to settle the pan because of magnetism. The metal Allen wrench may interfere with the magnetism somehow as well. I just use my scale as is. I don't add anything. I did paint a small white tip on the end of the black pointer where it lines up with the zero point with white nail polish. Just a small amount on the very tip of the black beam tip so it is easier for my eyes to see it line up when correct or zeroed. I suggest using it the way it is and see how you like it. I don't mind waiting 10 seconds for it to settle if it even takes that long. I am not in a hurry. I want accuracy and I get it.
GasGuzzler wrote:I have a 505 and it doesn't do all that crazy stuff and doesn't require an Allen wrench.
I've been away from the forum a bit, kind of "Closed for Hunting Season" thing. The metal (allen wrench) vs. scale pan is a dissimilar metal thing. My scale which I have used since the early nineties has neve had the oscillations that GG has experienced. The allen wrench thing came up with from my search on how to correct the problem he was experiencing. My scale might oscillate through two decreasing cycles, but with the allen wrench, it stops with one. I had an old Redding scale and have a Lyman; sold the Redding and don't use the Lyman. I've also had several electronic scales and trust them about as much as I trust an electronic caliper. Don't do anything with a cell phone nearby!

The only thing I've done is to take the time to mark the level index with a ½ and 1-grain index mark. I used check weights across to establish the marks.
Michael
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

Ranch Dog wrote:Don't do anything with a cell phone nearby!
I imagine that you say it by possible electromagnetic discharges on the powder or that it influences the reading of the digital scale. I am a smoker and when I refill my cartridges I leave both the cell phone, the tobacco and the lighter in the next room.

I am very careful with the issue of security and recharge.

I am looking forward to getting my scale to assemble it, regulate it and start using it.
mikld
Founding Member & Supporter
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Post by mikld »

I took a magnet out of a diseased CD player that is very strong and small about 3/16"x1" and set it on the bench under the pan of my Lee SS. Slows oscillation to the same as my RCBS and/or my Lyman. Has no effect on accuracy...
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

Neodymium magnet, you can find them on PC hard drives, they are also sold on AliExpress and eBay in different sizes and powers.
Vidor

Post by Vidor »

Hello friends, today I received my Lee Safety Powder Scale. +guns

How happy I was when I opened the package that the mailman brought and I could see what it contained. I lack time to find a flat and level place to mount it and set it to 0.

My attention is very small because of its small size, imagine that it would be 1/3 larger at least.

I had seen that some users had stitched the tip of a vivid color to make it look better so use very bright nail polish and paint it.

I was able to set it to 0 without complications, I find that the small piece that locks from 0 to 10 did not block, it went in and out as it pleased, so that the slightest air displaced me but I could do it well.

I thought that maybe the problem is that being completely new, you have to press it hard to fit or that it came with the defect of not having a small locking tab.

Any ideas or opinions?

Return to “Safety Powder Scale”