Lee Slug Success!

Whether plinking or chasing big game, tell us about your day outdoors!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin
My Press Choice: Progressive

Lee Slug Success!

Post by Ranch Dog »

Months ago, I went into the details of a load that was working out very well on the range with my Western Field 170 and the Lee 1 ounce slug. I detailed that work here: Western Field 170 Slugster ~ Lee 1 oz without Tail Feathers

I had finalized the load about as I started with it. Every time I shot a target at 50 yards, I sent the slug through the bullseye. I had planned to use the gun on a "slug only" draw hunt in South Texas. I was not chosen for the hunt, so the 170 and it's reloading stopped. The open sights do not lend itself to low light or night time hog hunting, so it's been sitting in a gun rack.

"Doe days" started over Thanksgiving, so I brought it out and shot a couple of cull rounds that I had sitting on the bench, all went through the 50-yard bullseye. I pulled the Lee Load-All Jr. off the shelf as well and loaded up a few rounds to see if I could kill a doe. I've been out every day, but with the heat (up to 85º), the deer are moving only in the first few minutes of shooting time. Against the gray sky, brush, and deer, I cannot see the Williams rifle sights well enough to shoot. I even white chaulked the front sight, still doesn't stand out. The sight stuff isn't unique; it has been the same experience every time I've tried using them.

This morning, in the first 10 minutes of hunting, I saw 14 to 16 does, most within 50-yards, but I could not put a bead on one of them. At 9:00, after two hours of not seeing anything else. I started to walk out. I just happened to see a buck leaving a wildlife waterer out in the native grass. I checked him to see if he met the antler restrictions and took off. He was 300-yards away, and I closed the distance to 65-yards just as he was about to enter some dense brush. I took an off-hand shot, and there was no doubt I smacked the heck out of the deer.

Finally, I did it this morning — my first deer with a slug and open sights!

The deer jumped up high using its rear legs, I could tell that both front shoulders were broken, and went down about 7-yards in the thicket. I've not shot beyond 50-yards on the range, mainly because the thick blade of the fronts sight covers too much of the target, but my hit (above the hull) was near perfect (could have been raised a tad more). Everything in the chest cavity was gravy.

I'm in love with this smoothbore and the "tail-less" Lee. I will continue to load it on the Load-All Junior as it just folds everything perfectly. If I use the Load-All II, I need a thin spacer to limit the tool-head travel. Not a big deal as it give the cute, old press a purpose.

Here is the load.

Michael
alphalimafoxtrot
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Re: Lee Slug Success!

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

nice work, RD!

+corn
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Macd
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by Macd »

Nice. It has to be deeply satisfying to "prove" that load after all the effort you put into development. As the Aussies would say "Good on you mate".
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter

Post by larryw »

+guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns +guns

Yes sir, I knew it, I just knew it.
I knew you would get it figured out....
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks, guys! It is nice to be done with the development. I would like to get a scope on the gun, but not sure if is possible.

Next, getting ready to leve in the next few days for a mule deer hunt in Garza County, TX. I'm going to fly my airplane out there.
Michael
larryw

Post by larryw »

Ranch Dog wrote:Thanks, guys! It is nice to be done with the development. I would like to get a scope on the gun, but not sure if is possible.

Next, getting ready to leve in the next few days for a mule deer hunt in Garza County, TX. I'm going to fly my airplane out there.
Couple of people I know in Maryland & WVA use the Red Dot style of optics
on there slug guns & have for some time. Sorry Michael, no personal experience.
Come on Michael??? Your an old jet jocky from way back, you own an
aircraft, what other mode of transportation is there?? :D
Best of luck & times on the hunt. Take care & be safe..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

larryw wrote:Couple of people I know in Maryland & WVA use the Red Dot style of optics
on there slug guns & have for some time. Sorry Michael, no personal experience.
I have thought about the red dot several, but looking through the Bushnell on my 4895, it is only good at 25 yards at best. It might be worse than looking without it.

Also, I will run into the same issue with a base. There is not going to be much difference in having a base made for a scout scope or ret dot; about $300. I'm going to get a hold of the guy I've been working with to see what he thinks. A shotgun barrel/receiver is a lot thinner than a rifle.
larryw wrote:Come on Michael??? Your an old jet jocky from way back, you own an
aircraft, what other mode of transportation is there?? :D
Best of luck & times on the hunt. Take care & be safe..
The big thing has been the weather; the location is remote but secure. No weather reporting, hangar, or fuel. Despite the distance, fuel is not an issue with a Skymaster; it is good for about 1500 nm. I can go and come with a reserve airport about 300 miles away as I come back home. Frontal weather is bad this time of year at this location (Post, TX), and usually involves hail. With the lack of a hangar, I've got to be sure that possibility does not exist or leave ahead of it. My hunting friend is coming out of Midland, which has all the facilities so that I can go there. Going into Post would eliminate all the driving. Oh, its a ten-hour drive to the hunt for me, vs. a 2:20 flight.
Michael
JohnnyEnfield
Supporter
Supporter

Post by JohnnyEnfield »

That is so excellent to see, congratulations. I love the gun too, beautiful. I have not been on the forum for a long time but I know the last time I was perusing you were experimenting with slugs. I am glad you got that deer and it seems like it was a devastating shot. So great that you did it all from ingot to meat in the freezer.
Reduce, reuse, recycle, means- resize, reload, recycle.

Return to “Field/Hunting Stories”