Nickel-plated cases?

The little red box that started it all!
GasGuzzler
Moderator & Supporter
Moderator & Supporter
My Press Choice: Turret

Re: Nickel-plated cases?

Post by GasGuzzler »

The plated ones are harder and that doesn't help me. I want the right amount of pliable even for heavier loads for sealing. I can always get more when they wear out. They just need to be not so soft they blow apart.

I have a stash of once-fired NP to hold onto but I don't seek them out or prefer them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from goin' insane.
mr surveyor
Founding Member
Founding Member
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by mr surveyor »

If I was a street cop and this was still the 50's, I probably opt for the nickel plated 38 spl cartridges that were going to most likely stay in my leather duty belt for as much as 6 months at a time. If I remember right, the nickel plate cases came about due to that issue - leather isn't anywhere near as corrosive to the nickel plate as it is no plan old nekkid brass.

Since I ain't a street cop, and this ain't the 50's any more, I really have no use for nickel plate brass.

jd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's just some things best left unsaid on the internetsuperhighway.
larryw
Founding Member & Supporter
My Press Choice: Single Stage

Post by larryw »

Guinearun wrote:One of the old guys may have more revelation?
Guinearun wrote:Keep in mind guys I even at my age ( ha ha )

Your pluckin' my last nerve youngster!!!! :D :D :D :D
Hope your stuffed & had a great day.. +guns +guns +guns
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
Lufbery
My Press Choice: Lee Loader

Post by Lufbery »

Thanks guys. I'm tending to favor the regular brass cases, but I have some nickel-plated .357 that I thought I'd try.
larryw

Post by larryw »

I have no doubt thing's will be fine. just remember to inspect every finished cartridge,
top to bottom & all around, including crimp.
If any round doesn't look right, feel right, gives you pause for " ANY " reason, stop, set them
aside, work it out. Just remember, don't say we didn't warn you. This pursuit has a really
big addiction factor & that little Lee Loader will suddenly have morfed into
A truck load of gear. Well, gotta go now, gotta go say good morning to everyone (oops)
every thing, in my loading room..
A day late & A dollar short? Story of my life +guns
horseman
Supporter
Supporter

Post by horseman »

mr surveyor wrote:If I was a street cop and this was still the 50's, I probably opt for the nickel plated 38 spl cartridges that were going to most likely stay in my leather duty belt for as much as 6 months at a time. If I remember right, the nickel plate cases came about due to that issue - leather isn't anywhere near as corrosive to the nickel plate as it is no plan old nekkid brass. jd

This answer is a good reason for nickle plated brass. I have nickle cased rounds in gun belts that have been in there way longer than 6 months, they don't corrode. Brass gets some gooey, grody, green stuff on them but it wipes off on a rag with a bit of WD 40 on it. I also use nickle brass for my 44mag vs 45 colt (now) cause' they look so close to the same size when they're in a big bunch. I HAVE (tried) ran a 45 colt case into a 44 mag die, it ain't pretty. I also will admit to running a 44mag round through a Ruger 45 colt at one time. Not sure how that happened but it did. At least I think it did as there was a fired piece of 44mag brass in with the fired 45 colts I had just fired a couple days before. Nope, never noticed a thing. They were hot 45 colt loads. Wouldn't be the first mistake I ever made.
RBHarter
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by RBHarter »

I once read about a magazine editor that went to a show and shoot and ran at least 2 cylinders of 41 Mag in a 44 mag ......
Just a Red neck,White boy, Blue blood American.....
Macd
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Macd »

Just another positive point on the plated cases. When I was hunting more often I preferred them in 308 as they didn't corrode like the brass after a week of walking around in the rain, drizzle and fog that is typical of the weather here in the fall. Many years ago I flew in a lot of wilderness areas by helicopter. We always carried a survival rifle in 22 LR. The ammo was all lacquered, nickel plated. I assume this also was to avoid problems with corrosion.
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter
My Press Choice: Hand Press

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Right now I'm using plated case for black powder loads in my 45/70. They still need washed but if it's a day later they haven't turned green>

Make smoke,
Curt.......makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time +guns +guns

Return to “Lee Loader®”